X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

• یادگیری زبان انگلیسی با پادکست - سطح متوسط

یادگیری زبان انگلیسی با پادکست های EnglishPod

سطح متوسط - Intermediate

گر خسته ای بمان و اگر خواستی بدان: ما را تمام لذت هستی به جستجوست ...
    اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
    Linkedin Profile

Driving Sales

The Office - Driving Sales
    Intermediate

A: All right, people. We’re holding this meeting today because we’ve got to do something about our sales, and we need to do it NOW! I want concrete solutions. How do you intend to drive sales... Roger?
    B: Well, in fact, we’re the most expensive in the market, so maybe we need to lower our prices to match the competitors?
    A: Lower our prices? Not very creative. It’ll never fly with Swan. What kind of thinking is that? Geez. Anybody else have a better plan? Natalie?
    C: Um, perhaps, um, a sales promotion. Maybe a two-for-one offer, or something like that!
    A: What? That’s the same thing. Bad idea. Really bad idea. Dammit people come on! Think! The CEO will be here any minute.
    D: Do we have any ideas yet?
    C: Yes Mr. Swan, we were kind of considering a two-for-one offer to get more competitive.
    D: A two-for-one promotion? Hmm. I kind of like the sound of that. It sounds like something we should consider.
    A: Yeah, exactly. Just what I was thinking! In fact, that’s a brilliant idea! I’m glad we thought of that. Very creative.

Key Vocabulary

concrete solutions: phrase - a real or specific solution to a problem
    drive sales: Preposition - increase sales
    in the market: phrase - in the industry
    to match the competitors: principle verb, infinitive - be the as good as or better than others companies in the same industry
    will never fly: phrase - will not work, will not be approved
    promotion: phrase - something done to make people aware of a product
    be here any minute: phrase - will arrive very soon
    to consider: principle verb, infinitive - thinking about
    brilliant: Adjective - excellent

Supplementary Vocabulary

competitive: Adjective - as good as or better than others of the same type
    win sales: phrase - make sales successfully
    sales strategy: phrase - plans for a company's sales activities
    sales cycle: phrase - the process a customer goes though when deciding to buy a product
    to outsell: principle verb, infinitive - to sell more than others
    customer loyalty: phrase - when a customer buys the same brand over and over

اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
    Linkedin Profile

نظر

New Guy in Town

Daily Life - New Guy in Town
      Intermediate

A: Oh, I don’t know if you heard, but someone moved into that old house down the road.
      B: Yeah, I know. I met the owner of the house yesterday as he was moving in. His name is Armand.
      A: Really? What’s he like? You have to fill me in.
      B: Actually, he’s a bit strange. I don’t know... I’ve got a bad feeling about him.
      A: Really? Why?
      B: Well, yesterday I brought over a housewarming gift, but Armand started acting really weird, and then he practically kicked me out! I tried to, sort of, peek into his house, but everything was so dark inside that I couldn’t really get a good look.
      A: Well, you’ll never guess what I saw this morning. A delivery truck pulled into his driveway, and it dropped off a long, rectangular box. It almost looked like a coffin!
      B: You see! Why would he...
      C: Hello ladies...
      B: Ah, Armand! You scared the heck out of me! This is my friend Doris.
      C: A pleasure to meet you...If you are not doing anything tonight, I would like to have you both for dinner. I mean...I would like to have you both over for dinner.

Key Vocabulary

I don’t know if you heard: phrase - phrase used to introduce a piece of information
      fill me in: phrase - tell me about it
      a bad feeling: phrase - a sense or feeling that something bad is going to happen
      weird: Adjective - strange, unusual
      kick out: principle verb, past simple - make or force someone leave when they don't want to
      creep me out: phrase - make me feel uncomfortable and a bit scared
      you’ll never guess: phrase - phrase used to introduce a piece of news
      scare the heck out of me: phrase - cause someone to feel a lot of fear

Supplementary Vocabulary

bizarre: Adjective - strange or unusual
      creepy: Adjective - strange or scary, causing people to feel nervous and afraid
      vampire: common noun, singular - a dead person who drinks the blood of living people
      have you heard: phrase - phrase used to introduce a piece of gossip
      guess what: phrase - phrase used to introduce an interesting or surprising piece of information

Webitsa.com
      Linkedin Profile

نظر

Cleaning the House

Daily Life - Cleaning the House
        Intermediate

A: Honey, the house is such a mess! I need you to help me tidy up a bit. My boss and her husband are coming over for dinner and the house needs to be spotless!
        B: I’m in the middle of something right now. I’ll be there in a second.
        A: This can’t wait! I need your help now!
        B: Alright, alright. I’m coming.
        A: Ok, here’s a list of chores we need to get done. I’ll do the dishes and get all the groceries for tonight. You can sweep and mop the floors. Oh, and the furniture needs to be dusted.
        B: You know what, I have to pick something up at the mall, so why don’t you clean the floors and I’ll go to the supermarket and get all the groceries.
        A: Sure that’s fine. Here is the list of all the things you need to get. Don’t forget anything! And can you pick up a bottle of wine on your way home?
        B: Hey, honey I’m back. Wow, the house looks really good!
        A: Great! Can you set the table?
        B: Just a sec I’m just gonna vacuum this rug real fast
        A: Wait! Don’t turn it on...

Key Vocabulary

such a mess: phrase - very dirty, disordered
        tidy up: principle verb, present simple - put things in place, organize
        spotless: Adjective - perfectly clean
        in the middle of something: phrase - busy doing something at the moment
        chores: common noun, plural - common house tasks
        groceries: common noun, plural - food that you buy at a store

Supplementary Vocabulary

immaculate: Adjective - perfectly clean, having no dirt at all
        do the laundry: phrase - wash the dirty clothes
        dish detergent: phrase - soap used to wash the plates, knives, forks, bowls, etc.
        trash: common noun, non variable - garbage (AmE)
        rubbish: common noun, non variable - garbage (BrE)

Webitsa.com
        Linkedin Profile

نظر

Out Of Control Spending

The Office - Out Of Control Spending
          Intermediate

A: OK, so now the last point on our agenda. Jill, let’s go over the profit and loss statement.
          B: Great. Well, the main issue here, as you can see, is that our expenses are through the roof.
          A: Let’s see... These numbers are off the charts! What’s going on here!
          B: Well, um, sir, the company expenditures on entertainment and travel are out of control. Look at these bills for example. Just this month we’ve paid over twenty thousand dollars for hotel charges!
          A: OK, thank you. I’ll look into it.
          B: The list goes on and on. Here, this is a bill for five thousand dollars for spa treatments!
          A: Thank you; that will be all. I’ll take care of it.
          B: Look at this one sir, eight thousand dollars were spent in one night at a place called ”Wild Things”?!
          A: OK, I get it!! Thank you for your very thorough analysis!

Key Vocabulary

go over: phrase - revise, check
          through the roof: phrase - suddenly very high
          off the charts: phrase - very high
          expenditures: common noun, plural - amount of money spent on something
          out of control: phrase - not in control
          look into: principle verb, Will Future - investigate, try to get information about something
          go on and on: phrase - continues
          take care of: principle verb, Will Future - do something about

Supplementary Vocabulary

revenue: common noun, non variable - amount of money paid to a business
          cash flow: common noun, non variable - the movement of money into and out of a business
          the bottom line: phrase - the net prot; the amount of money a business makes after expenses
          finances: common noun, non variable - the amount of money you have and how well it is organized
          income: common noun, non variable - the amount of money a person or a company makes
          assets: common noun, plural - things of value that are owned by a company

Webitsa.com
          Linkedin Profile

نظر

I'm sorry, I love you

Daily Life - I'm sorry, I love you
            Intermediate

A: I’m so relieved that your ankle wasn’t broken! I feel just awful about this whole thing. I wanna make it up to you. Let me take you out to dinner tonight. My treat.
            B: That sounds great! I’d love to! Here is my address. Pick me up at eight?
            A: Perfect!
            B: Thank you for such a lovely evening! The food was amazing, and I had a great time.
            A: Me too. You look so beautiful tonight! I wish this night would never end. There’s something I have
            to tell you...
            B: What is it?
            A: I woke up today thinking this would be just like any other ordinary day, but I was wrong. A twist of fate brought us together. I crashed into your life and you into mine, and this may sound crazy, but I’m falling

Key Vocabulary

relieved: Adjective - relaxed and happy that something diffcult has been stopped
            make it up: verb - do something good as a balance to a bad or hurtful action
            my treat: phrase - I will pay
            pick up: verb - go somewhere in order to get someone or something
            ordinary: Adjective - normal
            twist of fate: phrase - unplanned events that has a big impact on the future
            crash: verb - hit something causing serious damage
            fall in love: phrase - start being in love

Supplementary Vocabulary

go on a date: phrase - go to an event or activity with a boyfriend or girlfriend
            ask you out: verb - invite or ask someone to go on a date (informal)
            take you out: verb - invite someone to go and do something
            turn down: verb - decline an invitation
            look forward to: verb - an expression to show excitement about something
            see someone: verb - be in a relationship with someone
            flirt: verb - behave in a way that expresses a sexual attraction for someone

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
            Linkedin Profile

نظر

Protest

Global View - Protest!l
              Upper Intermediate

A: This is Action 5 News reporter Sarah O’Connell reporting live from Washington, D. C. where a protest has broken out. Thousands of angry citizens are protesting against the proposed bailout of the auto manufacturing industry! Sir, sir, Sarah O’Connell, Action 5 news. Can you tell us what’s happening?
              B: Yeah, yeah, we’re here because we feel this is an injustice! The financial irresponsibility of big business has to stop! We’re there to show the government that we don’t like the way that they’re spending our tax dollars!
              A: Sir but what exactly is making everyone so angry?
              B: It’s an absolute outrage, Sarah, the US government wants to give 25 billion dollars of taxpayers’ money to the auto industry. These are companies that have been mismanaged and are now nearly bankrupt.
              A: I see. But, many supporters of the bailout argue that it could help save the jobs of millions of hardworking Americans.
              B: That maybe true, and I for one don’t want to see anyone lose their job, but how can these CEOs ask for a bailout when they’re making millions of dollars? And then, they have the nerve to fly to Washington in private jets! This costs hundreds of thousands of dollars! And they’re asking for money! That is just not right!
              A: Good point. This is Sarah O’Connell reporting live from Washington D. C., back to you, Tom.

Key Vocabulary

protest: Noun (singular) - an event where people gather together to show disapproval of something
              break out: Verb, Present Perfect - start suddenly
              bailout: Noun (singular) - the act of saving a company form money problems
              injustice: Noun (singular) - an unfair situation
              outrage: Noun (singular) - something that is morally wrong
              mismanage: Verb, Present Perfect - manage badly
              have the nerve: Phrase - dare to

Supplementary Vocabulary

placard: Noun (singular) - sign people hold at protests, usually a piece of cardboard on a stick
              rally: Noun (singular) - public meeting in support or opposition of something
              demonstration: Noun (singular) - event where people gather together to show that they support or oppose something
              demonstrators: Noun (plural) - people who go to a demonstration or protest
              opponent: Noun (singular) - a person who opposes something or someone
              proponent: Noun (singular) - person who supports someone or something

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
              Linkedin Profile

نظر

Christmas Chronicles I

The Weekend - Christmas Chronicles I
                Intermediate

A: I hate working on Christmas Eve! Whoa! Get a load of this guy! Come in central, I think we’ve got ourselves a situation here.
                B: License and registration please. Have you been drinking tonight, sir?
                A: I had one or two glasses of eggnog, but nothing else.
                B: Step out of the vehicle, please. Sir, what do you have in the back?
                A: Just a few Christmas gifts, ’tis the season, after all!
                B: Don’t take that tone with me. Do you have an invoice for these items?
                A: Umm...no...I make these in my workshop in the North Pole!
                B: You are under arrest, sir. You have the right to remain silent. You better not pout, you better not cry. Anything you say can and will be used against you. You have the right to an attorney; if you cannot afford one, the state will appoint.
                A: You can’t take me to jail! What about my sleigh? It’s Christmas Eve! I have presents to deliver! Rudolph! Prancer! Dancer! Get help!

Key Vocabulary

get a load of: phrase - look at (informal)
                license: common noun, singular - official document that shows you have permission to drive a car
                eggnog: common noun, non variable - traditional Christmas drink containing eggs, cream, sugar and rum
                vehicle: common noun, singular - machine use to carry people, i.e. a car or truck
                step out: principle verb, imperative - briefly go out of a place
                take that tone: phrase - speak in that tone of voice
                invoice: common noun, singular - official document that shows you have paid for something you bought
                arrest: phrase - the act of legally taking someone to jail
                pout: principle verb, present simple - push out your lips to show that you are unhappy
                sleigh: common noun, singular - large, open vehicle that is pulled by horses over snow or ice

Supplementary Vocabulary

handcuffs: common noun, plural - a set of two metal rings that are used to join a persons hands together, esp. by police
                prison: common noun, singular - a building where criminals are kept as punishment
                read someone’s rights: phrase - tell someone their legal rights, usually when they are arrested
                DUI: phrase - driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
                speeding ticket: common noun, singular - a piece of paper the police give if you are diving too fast

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                Linkedin Profile

نظر

What Do You Do?l

The Office - What Do You Do?l
                  Intermediate

A: Oh, look, there’s Veronica and her boyfriend. She’s always going on about him at the office. Oh, great, they saw us. They’re coming this way.
                  B: Oh, man...
                  C: Jessica! Arthur! Hi! I’d like you to meet my boyfriend Greg, he’s the V. P. of quality and safety for a top Fortune 500 food company.
                  A: Nice to meet you. This is my husband, Arthur.
                  B: Hey, how’s it going?
                  D: Hello.
                  A: Veronica talks about you all the time. I guess you must be pretty busy at work.
                  D: Well, yeah, a V. P. position is not easy, you know! I implement policies and procedures nationwide. of various departments, as well as train junior managers in FDA and EPA regulations. I also have to oversee daily ope
                  B: Wow, yeah... that sounds exciting.
                  D: And what about you, Arthur? What do you do for a living?
                  B: Oh, I’m a Top Gun pilot!

Key Vocabulary

go on about: phrase - talk about something a lot
                  Fortune 500: phrase - top 500 companies, rated by revenue
                  implement: principle verb, present progressive - begin to do something, put into action
                  responsible: Adjective - have the duty or job of taking care of something
                  nationwide: Adjective - in the whole country
                  look after: principle verb, infinitive - take care of
                  oversee: principle verb, present simple - watch and direct to make sure a job is done correctly
                  quality control: common noun, non variable - checking goods to make sure that they are good enough to sell
                  under me: phrase - working for me

Supplementary Vocabulary

develop relationships: phrase - make good relationships
                  handle complaints: phrase - look after or take care of complaints
                  coordinate: verb - make arrangements or plans with a group of people
                  monitor: verb - watch and check
                  supervise: verb - be in charge of something , watch and direct
                  ensure: verb - make sure

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                  Linkedin Profile

نظر

Christmas Chronicles II

The Weekend - Christmas Chronicles II
                    Intermediate

A: Really, gentlemen, you can’t take me to jail! Don’t you know who I am? Kris Kringle, you know, Papa Noel, Pere Noel, Babbo Natale, sheng dan lao ren!
                    B: Yeah, Yeah, we’ve heard that one before, haven’t we Joe?
                    C: Yeah, last week we booked this guy who claimed to be the tooth fairy! Can you believe that?
                    A: It’s Christmas Eve and I have all these presents to deliver! Where is your Christmas spirit? What will happen when all the children wake up tomorrow and don’t find any gifts in their stockings?
                    B: Sorry buddy, you were parked in a no-parking zone, you were speeding, and you have no ID!
                    C: Besides that, even if we let you go now, your sleigh has been impounded and those reindeer were taken to the city zoo.
                    A: What! This is unbelievable! What’s this world coming to? Christmas is ruined!
                    C: What’s that up ahead? It looks like... elves!! Elves!! Whoa, they’re shooting candy canes! Mayday, Mayday, we are under heavy attack! We need backup!

Key Vocabulary

take someone to jail: phrase - take someone who is arrested to a place where other criminals are kept
                    book: verb - arrest (informal)
                    claim: verb - say something is true when some people say it may not be true
                    stocking: common noun, singular - large sock; traditionally, Christmas gifts are put inside on the Christmas Eve
                    speed: verb - drive faster than legal speed limit
                    impound: verb - held by the police
                    ruined: Adjective - damaged or destroyed
                    reindeer: common noun, non variable - large deer that lives in the north part of the globe
                    elf: common noun, singular - small creature (in stories) that have pointed ears and magic powers
                    candy cane: common noun, plural - a stick-shaped candy with red and white curves on the top
                    under heavy: phrase - being attacked or hurt
                    backup: common noun, non variable - help

Supplementary Vocabulary

charge: verb - formally accuse someone of a crime
                    pull someone over: phrase - make a moving car move to the side of the road
                    ambush: common noun, singular - a sudden attack
                    stocking stuffer: common noun, singular - small gifts that are put in the Christmas stocking
                    Christmas ornament: common noun, singular - decoration that is used to make the Christmas tree beautiful

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                    Linkedin Profile

نظر

Planning For The Worst

The Office - Planning For The Worst
                      Upper Intermediate

A: Well, right, let’s move to our next order of business, as many of you are aware, in recent weeks there has been a lot of media coverage surrounding this bird flu issue. And it’s come to my attention that our company lacks any sort of bird flu contingency plan.
                      B: Basically, we need to come up with a clear plan; we need to outline specific actions that our company can take to maintain critical business functions in case a pandemic strikes.
                      A: So, what I’d like to do is: first appoint someone to look after drafting our plan; Ralph, I’d like you to head up this project.
                      C: Sure, no problem. What issues do you want me to consider?
                      B: Well, let’s see, there are a few points we need to be thinking about. . . first, I’ll need you to analyze our numbers and figure out what kind of financial impact an outbreak might have.
                      A: You’ll also need to think about how we can avoid any of our employees getting infected; think of ways to reduce employee-customer contact, perhaps some IT solutions that will allow our people to work from home.
                      C: I guess you’ll need me to forecast employee absences as well, right? And I’ll think about the impact this will have on our clients. Hey, what about vaccines? Should we be thinking about getting vaccines for our employees?
                      A: Exactly right. So, I’ll leave this to you, and we’ll review the draft plan in two weeks. Okay, so, anyone want to order some KFC for lunch?

Key Vocabulary

order of business: Phrase - an issue that must be discussed
                      bird flu: Noun (non count) - flu originated from birds that carry virus
                      contingency plan: Phrase - a plan that prepares for a situation where things can go wrong
                      critical: Adjective - extremely important
                      pandemic: Noun (singular) - a situation where a disease is spread out very quickly, and affects many people in many countries
                      draft: Verb - make a fi rst version of something
                      impact: Noun (singular) - major influence or effect on something
                      outbreak: Noun (singular) - a sudden start of disease affecting many people
                      head up: Verb - lead and be responsible for
                      forecast: Verb - predict what is going to happen based on available information
                      vaccine: Noun (plural) - medical substance that protect people or animal against diseases

Supplementary Vocabulary

epidemic: Conjunction - event where a disease spreads really quickly affects a large number of people
                      backup plan: Phrase - a plan made in case events go badly
                      pandemic preparedness plan: Phrase - a plan to prepare for the possible outbreak of a pandemic
                      transmit disease: Phrase - pass disease from one individual to another
                      avian influenza: Noun (singular) - bird flu
                      influenza: Noun (non count) - flu; illness caused by a virus

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                      Linkedin Profile

نظر

I'm Sorry, I Love You II

Daily Life - I'm Sorry, I Love You II
                        Intermediate

A: Whoa, whoa, what’s going on? Watch out!
                        B: Hey, watch where you’re going!
                        A: Oh, no! I’m so sorry! Are you all right?
                        B: Oh...I don’t know.
                        A: I feel terrible, I really didn’t mean to knock you over. My tire, just exploded, and I lost control of my bike. Really, it was an accident. Please accept my apologies.
                        B: Just let me try to stand up.
                        SONG: Why do birds suddenly appear, every time you are near?
                        A: Are you okay?
                        B: Oh, wait a second, you seem really familiar, I think I know you from somewhere.
                        A: Yeah, I think we have met somewhere before. That’s right! We met at Aaron’s place last weekend! What a coincidence! But anyway, I’m glad to see that you’re not too badly hurt, and I should probably get going. I have a nine o’clock meeting.
                        B: Ouch! My ankle! I think it’s broken! You can’t just leave me like this! Are you calling an ambulance?
                        A: Nope, I’m canceling my appointment so that I can stay here with you.
                        SONG: Do you remember when we met? That’s the day I knew you were my pet. I wanna tell you how much I love you.

Key Vocabulary

feel terrible: phrase - sorry
                        mean: principle verb, present simple - intend, plan
                        explode: principle verb, past simple - suddenly break apart
                        accident: common noun, singular - an event that is not planed or intended
                        familiar: Adjective - probably known, but not clearly remembered
                        place: common noun, singular - house
                        coincidence: common noun, singular - situation when two or more things happen at the same time in an unplanned way
                        knock over: principle verb, infi nitive - make something fall over

Supplementary Vocabulary

regret: principle verb, present simple - feel sad or sorry about something
                        apologetic: Adjective - feeling or showing regret, showing an apology
                        feel guilty: phrase - feel responsible for doing something bad
                        unfamiliar: Adjective - not familiar
                        love at first sight: phrase - falling in love the fi rst time you see someone

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                        Linkedin Profile

نظر

New Guy in Town II

Daily Life - New Guy in Town II
                          Intermediate

A: Oh, Armand, thank you for such a thoughtful invitation! It’s really very nice of you to invite us over for dinner, don’t you think so, Ellen?
                          B: Oh, yes of course! We’d love to come over. Can I bring anything?
                          C: No, don’t worry about it; I’ll take care of everything. I’ll see you tonight. Come with an appetite... I know I will!
                          B: I don’t want go over to his place for dinner! He gives me the creeps! Why on earth did you accept?
                          A: Oh come on Ellen, it will be nice to get to know him. Besides, he’s new to the neighborhood, and it would be rude to decline his invitation.
                          B: I guess so... You always rope me into things like this!
                          C: Ladies! Thank you for coming! You look delicious... I mean beautiful. Please come in.
                          A: Oh Oh Armand! You are too kind!
                          B: How did I get myself into this...

Key Vocabulary

thoughtful: Adjective - showing concern for the needs and feelings of other people
                          appetite: common noun, singular - a physical desire of food
                          give the creeps: phrase - make someone to feel scared and uncomfortable
                          get to know: verb - start to know, become familiar with someone
                          why on earth: phrase - (expression to emphasize surprise or frustration)
                          decline: verb - say you will not or can not do something
                          rope into: verb - convince someone to do something

Supplementary Vocabulary

make yourself at home: phrase - polite way to ask guests to make themselves comfortable
                          hospitable: Adjective - being a friendly and caring host to the guests
                          potluck: common noun, singular - a party that requires everybody to bring food
                          housewaming: common noun, singular - a party to celebrate moving into a new home

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                          Linkedin Profile

نظر

Daily Life - Opening a Bank Account

Daily Life - Opening a Bank Account
                            Intermediate

A: Next, please. May I help you, sir?
                            B: Hello, yes, I’d like to open a bank account.
                            A: Certainly, I can can help you with that. What type of account would you like to open? A chequing or a savings account?
                            B: What What features do they offer?
                            A: Well, if you just take a look here, see, with our chequing account, you can have unlimited daily transactions for a small monthly fee, and our savings account has a higher interest rate, but you must carry a minimum balance of $ 10,000 dollars.
                            B: I see, well, I think I’m more interested in a chequing account; I like to have easy access to my money.
                            A: Alright, then, with this chequing account you’ll be issued a debit card and a cheque book. Will you require overdraft protection? There is an extra fee for that.
                            B: No, that won’t be necessary.
                            A: In that case, I’ll get you to fill out this paperwork; I’ll need your social insurance number, and two pieces of government ID. If you could just sign here, and here, and here; we’ll be all set. Would you like to make a deposit today?
                            B: Yes, I’d like to deposit one billion dollars.

Key Vocabulary

feature: common noun, plural - interesting or important quality
                            chequing account: common noun, singular - a regular account for daily transations
                            transaction: common noun, plural - an occurrence in which money is transfered from one person, or one account, to another
                            savings account: common noun, singular - an account for people to keep their money, usually offers a higher interest rate
                            balance: common noun, singular - the amount of money in a bank account
                            access: common noun, singular - a way to get to something
                            debit card: common noun, singular - a card for you to take money out of your bank account
                            overdraft: common noun, singular - taking out more money than what is available in the account
                            I’ll get you: phrase - (a way to ask people to do things)
                            I’ll need your: phrase - (a way to request people to provide something)
                            If you could just: phrase - (a polite way of asking people to do things)
                            deposit: common noun, singular - an amount of money that is put in a bank account

Supplementary Vocabulary

credit card: common noun, singular - a card to buy things and pay for them later
                            online banking: common noun, non variable - a service that allows people to do transactions online
                            telephone banking: common noun, non variable - a service that allows people to do transactions by phone
                            cheque book: common noun, singular - a book of cheques for use with a chequing account
                            terms and conditions: common noun, non variable - an outline of the rules and company policies of a particular product or service
                            high interest account: common noun, singular - a savings account that offers higher than usual interest rate
                            teller: common noun, singular - a person working in a bank, who helps customers with daily transactions

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                            Linkedin Profile

نظر

Live from Washington

Global View - Live from Washington
                              Upper Intermediate

A: This is Madeline Wright, for BCC News reporting live from Washington D. C. where, very shortly, the new President will deliver his inaugural address. Just moments ago, the President was sworn-in to office; following the United States Constitution the President swore an oath to faithfully execute the office of the presidency.
                              B: And what exactly is going on now, Madeline?
                              A: Well, Tom, true to American tradition, the band has just played “Hail to the Chief”, and the President
                              has been honored by a 21-gun salute. Now we’re waiting for the President to take to the stage and deliver his speech. Tom, it’s like a who’s who of the political world here on Capital Hill, with dignitaries representing several different countries.
                              B: What’s the mood on the ground like, Madeline?
                              A: In a word, the mood here is electric. The excitement in the air is palpable; I’ve never seen a larger crowd here on Capital Hill, and the audience is shouting, crying, and embracing each other. On this, a most historic day, you can feel the hope and the excitement in the air. The 20th of January will go down in history as the . . . . Oh, Tom, it looks like the President is about to begin. . .
                              C: My fellow Americans, today I stand before you...

Key Vocabulary

deliver: Verb - give information by speaking; say something officially
                              swear in: Verb - place someone in a new position by holding an official ceremony where he promises to do the job well
                              oath: Noun (singular) - official, serious promise
                              who’s who: Phrase - important and famous people in a particular industry
                              dignitary: Noun (plural) - person with a high rank or position, especially in government or religion
                              palpable: Adjective - so strong you can feel it, obvious
                              in a word: Phrase - to describe it in one word
                              fellow: Adjective - used to describe people of the same group
                              go down in history: Phrase - be remembered

Supplementary Vocabulary

ceremony: Noun (singular) - activity or action that are the official part of a formal official state or social occasion
                              festivities: Noun (non count) - celebration, enjoyment, and happiness
                              president-elect: Noun (singular) - a person who has been voted president, but not yet officially made president
                              parade: Noun (singular) - a public celebration of an event where many people move down a street in groups or on vehicles; usually involves a marching band
                              term: Noun (singular) - time allowed for one person to remain President after one election; in America a presidential term is four years
                              affirmation: Noun (singular) -a show of agreement or dedication
                              inaugural luncheon: Phrase - formal lunch celebrating the inauguration

Download Audio

Webitsa.com
                              Linkedin Profile

نظر

صبر کنید ..
                              X