• زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

• Maximize Your Language Learning through TPR + 502 words

Maximize Your Language Learning through TPR

by Reid Wilson, editor of the LANGUAGE LEARNING electronic newsletter
    First appeared: Language Learning #21

Acknowledgements

Any time I speak or write about language learning my indebtedness to Greg Thomson, Stephen Krashen, and James Asher shines through. While the following article contains my words from my thoughts, my thoughts have been enthralled by these "greats", and now I'm not always sure where their thoughts end and mine begin. Those of you familiar with their work with see it throughout this article, but processed by me, filtered and developed through my own experiences and training.

Introduction

A friend of mine recently learned to recognize and respond to over 500 words in Arabic after only nine two-hour sessions with his tutor. He spent less than three weeks doing this. He hadn't studied Arabic before, had no significant previous experience in language learning, and is a successful entrepreneur, not a linguist.

He did it using Total Physical Response, usually referred to as TPR.

While usually thought of as a powerful language learning approach for beginning students, TPR actually has great potential for learners at any level of ability. And if you have not been using it in your language learning program, incorporating it now, at whatever stage you are at, will bring a surge to your language learning progress--guaranteed.

The Basic Principles of TPR

The success of TPR is built upon these foundational principles of second language acquisition theory:
    • Languages are best learned when the learner receives lots of comprehensible (understandable) input. In other words, for a true beginner, listening to a radio broadcast in the language is not nearly as effective as listening to simple "hear and now" talk directed at the learner.

• Beginning language learners can benefit greatly from a "silent period" in which they learn to understand and respond to parts of the language without attempting to speak it. This is also referred to as "delayed production," and of course reflects that path that children follow when learning their first language.

The basic idea behind Total Physical Response is that a language learner learns to hear something in the language and then physically respond to it. That is, in TPR, a beginning--or more advanced--language learner learns to comprehend things said in the language by a teacher, tutor, or friend. Often at first these "things" are commands such as "stand up", "sit down", "walk", "touch your nose", and so on. However, as discussed in a section below, TPR is easily extended to other verb tenses and more complicated sentence patterns. By using gestures and props, the tutor is able to add enough non-linguistic context to his speech to convey meaning to the learner.

For example, suppose that you want to begin learning Turkish, and you have a Turkish friend who wants to trade an hour of Turkish for an hour of English a couple times a week. During your first hour of Turkish, your Turkish friend could say "stand up" as he stands up and gestures for you to stand up. Then he could say "sit down" as he sits and gestures for you to sit, and then he could go through "stand up" and "sit down" a couple more times while modeling it for you.

At some point fairly soon, your friend just says "stand up" without himself standing up, but you now know to stand up when you hear that, so you do. Congratulations! You just responded to your first word of Turkish for which you didn't have to have help. (Of course you will have to review it to remember it, and of course you probably can't say it, but those things will come in the future.) After this your tutor says "sit down"; you do it and are now on a roll. Your friend has you stand up while he stands up too, and then he says "walk" while he begins to walk. Then you learn "stop", "turn around", and so on. Ideally your friend is able to monitor your progress and introduce new words one at a time at a rate that is optimal for you. (A different part of this issue of Language Learning has a list of 500 words that can easily be learned using TPR. Actually, the possibilities are just about endless.)

By the end of your first hour, you will likely be able to respond to between 30 and 45 new words in Turkish! You should tape record your session, and then by reviewing it several times before your next language session and either physically responding to the commands or just imagining doing it you should be able to fly through a review with your friend the next time you get together. If you are dedicated to this approach and committed to not begin speaking too soon, you will very quickly grow in their ability to understand and respond to Turkish. (Trying to speak too quickly 1) may distract you from rapid vocabulary development, 2) will likely cause your anxiety level to rise which could lesson the "stickiness" of the words you are learning, and 3) could harm long-term pronunciation if you develop had habits before having heard lots of language.)

Variations of TPR: TPR-B, TPR-O, TPR-P, TPRS

So the basic idea of TPR is that a language learner hears something in the language and physically responds to it.

However, TPR is not just limited to whole body commands such as walking, turning around, and pointing to your nose. In fact, there are four major types of activities that can be done using the TPR mindset. I like to refer to them as TPR-B, TPR-O, TPR-P, and TPRS. (TPRS is the only one of these expressions that is widely known, the others are terms I've made up.)

I refer to TPR-B for "TPR with body", which includes everything that can be done with general body movement: stand up, sit down, turn around, turn right, turn left, lift up your arm, touch your nose, etc. This is best done in a room with some space to move around.

TPR-O stands for "TPR with objects". This is best done sitting a table that has some objects on it. For example, one day you could raid the produce stand and then sit down with your Turkish friend to a table of fruit. That day you could not only learn the words for "apple", "banana", "orange", and so on, but also, "give me", "take", "put", "smell", "bite", "roll", "peel", and "show me".

For this activitiy, your friend could start off with: "This is an apple. This is an orange. This is an apple. This is an orange. Where is the apple? (You would point) Where is the orange?" Once again new words can be fairly quickly built up one at a time.

When doing TPR-O, always remember to learn verbs that are associated with the objects you are learning. For example, I once had a TPR-O session in Arabic using a tape player/radio jambox. I not only learned the parts of the jambox but I also learned to respond to verbs that can be done with a jambox: turn it on, turn it off, turn up the volume, turn down the volume, switch from cassette to radio, change the station, rewind the tape, fast forward the tape, open up the battery case, take out the batteries, and so on. (I learned a lot of new words that day!)

TPR-P stands for "TPR with pictures". Pictures are extremely effective language learning tools. Let's say that you're actually living in Turkey and have gone around and taken 150 or so pictures of people doing different things and then arranged these pictures in an album. Your Turkish friend could go through and say "This is a man. This is a boy. This is a man. This is a boy. Where is the man? Where is the boy?" Gradually both background and foreground objects in the pictures could be learned, as well as verbs: "The carpenter is hitting the nail with a hammer," leading to requests such as "show me the man who is hitting something". Even verb tenses can be incorporated by asking your friend (or tutor or teacher) to talk about all of the pictures as if they happened last week, or now, or next week. The actual physical response with pictures is faily basic--pointing at something--but the opportunity for vocabulary acquisition is a broad as the types of pictures you can use.

In addition to taking your own pictures, you can probably find some children's picture or story books that are also useful for this kinof learning. Newspaper and magazine pictures work well too.

TPRS

TPR-S was developed by Blaine Ray and is being used in classrooms thoughout the United States. It involves the teacher (and eventually the students) acting out simple stories as a means of understanding the story and internalizing vocabulary. The last section of this article gives an internet link for more information about this approach.

What about Speaking?

If you are just starting your language learning and are using TPR, at some point you are (hopefully!) going to feel the urge to start speaking. Don't push it, but at some point you can begin saying things for your friend/tutor to do, from "stand up" to "turn the volume down" to "show me the man who ate fish yesterday". You can also speak about a table of objects: "This is a ball. This is a key. This is a book. The pen is on the book." And finally, you can describe pictures in any tense: "The man ate fish. The boy read a book."

For More Advanced Learners

More advanced learners can still benefit greatly from the different types of TPR. I'm an intermediate speaker of Arabic, but I can easily walk around my house and find objects that I don't know in Arabic as well as find pictures I would like to be able to describe. I have found it helpful to use TPR to learn as many new words as I can for a particular domain. For example, I could think of all of the things that I can do with a pen, and then work through them with a tutor: "take the cap off", "write you name", "sign your name", "draw a straight line", "draw a wavy line","write the word 'dog'", "underline the word 'dog'", "circle the word 'dog'", draw a picture of a horse", "put the cap back on", and so on.

Training Your Tutor To Do TPR with You

The most common mistake that tutors who are new to TPR make is to introduce new words new quickly or to not introduce them one at a time. If you begin to feel overwhelmed while doing TPR, just remind your tutor of the need for incredible amounts of repetition. (During a one-hour session you may need to hear a word fifty times to get it down good. Most tutors innately think that two or three should be enough!)

You will most likely have to stress the need for repetition several times--in fact, each day will be different depending upon your mood, alertness, concentration, etc. Ideally your tutor will be able to learn to continually monitor and evaluate your progress and make minor adjustments as is needed.

If you speak a language that you tutor doesn't, modeling TPR for an hour by using it to teach your tutor a new language can be very effective in the tutor understanding what processes are at work.

If you are using an established tutor who is currently working or has worked in the past with other students, I'd bet almost anything that the tutor has "a system" for teaching the language that he is reluctant to give up. You may find it easier to train someone new to be a TPR tutor than to try to get an established tutor to switch, but either way you'll have to have patience and persistance. Don't give in to their appeals for a different approach, even find a new tutor if you have to. TPR is the way to go for beginning language students.

In Conclusion

The secret of TPR is to make it a regular, ongoing part of your language study program, with great emphasis at the beginning but continued use throughout your language learning days.

The ability to learn 30 new words any given hour is fun, but the commulative effects of learning 30 new words each hour for many, many hours is where real language ability develops.

Source: languageimpact.com

گر خسته ای بمان و اگر خواستی بدان: ما را تمام لذت هستی به جستجوست ...
    اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
    Linkedin Profile

l502 Words that Can Be Learned with Total Physical Response (TPR), By Domain

Compiled by Reid Wilson

Note: The following is a first list of just some of the words that can easily be learned using TPR. It is exemplary, not comprehensive, and can be used as a start to make of list of 1,000 or even 2,000 words.

A few the words are culture/county specific but you can replace them with things from where you are.

General Body Movements

1. stand up

2. sit down

3. walk

4. stop

5. turn left

6. turn right

7. turn around

8. walk backwards

9. jump

10. hop

11. bend over

12. squat

13. walk 3 steps, 5 steps, etc.

14. face ___ (face me; face the wall, face the door, etc.)

15. lift up your right leg (left leg, right arm, etc.)

16. lower your leg (left leg, right arm, etc.)

17. shake my hand

18. kiss me (on the cheek!)

19. make a fist

20. clap your hands

21. snap your fingers

22. wave

facial things

23. smile

24. cough

25. laugh

26. cry

27. sneeze

28. open your mouth

29. close your mouth

30. stick out your tongue

31. put your tongue back in

32. wink

33. blink

34. wiggle your nose

General verbs you can use with objects

35. where is

36. touch

37. show me

38. pick up

39. put down

40. put it back (return)

41. drop

42. move

43. give me (give him)

44. take it back

45. throw

46. catch

47. turn over (flip)

48. put the _____ on (under etc.) the ______

49. push

50. pull

51. lift

kitchen table stuff

52. cup

53. plate

54. bowl

55. knife

56. fork

57. spoon

58. napkin / tissue

59. dish

60. big round serving tray

61. tray you'd serve tea or coffee on

62. table

63. chair

kitchen stuff

64. pan

65. oven

66. stove

67. sink

68. faucet

69. counter

70. cupboard

71. refrigerator

basic foods

72. flour

73. sugar

74. bread

75. tea leaves

76. coffee grounds

77. rice

78. nuts

79. yogurt

80. candy, etc.

drinks

81. water

82. milk

83. juice

84. soda

85. yogurt (drinking)

86. coffee

87. tea

fruits/vegetables

88. apple

89. banana

90. orange

91. plum

92. grapes

93. fig

94. dates

95. raisons

96. lemon

97. pomegranate

98. watermelon

99. tomato

100. cucumber

101. zucchini

102. onion

103. carrot

104. eggplant

105. small eggplant

106. potato

107. garlic

108. parsley

109. lettuce

110. grape leaves

111. celery

112. mint

113. cabbage, etc.

numbers (by using pens, for example)

114. one

115. two

116. three

117. four

118. five

119. six

120. seven

121. eight

122. nine

123. ten

124. eleven, etc.

words having to do with a door

125. door

126. key

127. doorknob

128. hinge

129. peephole

130. doorbell

131. open the door

132. close the door

133. lock the door

134. unlock the door

135. look through the peephole

136. ring the doorbell

137. knock on the door

words having to do with money

138. coin

139. bill

140. 1 qirsh coin

141. 5 qirsh coin

142. 10 qirsh coin

143. 25 qirsh coin

144. 50 qirsh coin

145. 1 dinar coin

146. 1 dinar bill

147. 5 dinar bill

148. 10 dinar bill

149. 20 dinar bill

150. pay me 35 qirsh, etc.

151. put 1 dinar in your pocket, etc.

152. give me change for this 1 dinar bill

words having to do with a cassette recorder/radio/etc.

153. cassette recorder

154. button

155. microphone

156. speaker

157. headphones

158. volume control

159. DC adapter jack

160. DC adapter

161. handle

162. front

163. back

164. side

165. battery cover

166. battery

167. play button

168. record button

169. rewind button

170. fast forward button

171. pause button

172. cassette

173. put the cassette in the player

174. take the cassette out of the player

175. turn the cassette over (i.e., take it out, turn it over, and put it back in)

176. push play (start the tape)

177. turn up the volume

178. turn down the volume

179. push stop (stop the tape)

180. push the pause button

181. rewind the tape

182. fast forward the tape

183. record ___ onto the tape

184. turn on the radio

185. turn off the radio

186. change the station

187. find some music

188. find some talking

189. change the band (e.g., from AM to FM)

190. change it back

words that have to do with a book

191. book

192. title

193. author

194. cover

195. table of contents

196. index

197. chapter

198. page

199. page number

200. section

201. paragraph

202. sentence

203. period

204. comma

205. quotation mark

206. open the book

207. close the book

208. turn to page number ____

209. turn the page

210. turn forward 5 pages

211. turn back a page

212. turn back three pages

Things you'll see outside in a city (you and your tutor will have to go outside for this list, but it's nice to have a change every once in a while anyway)

213. car

214. truck

215. motorcycle

216. bicycle

217. bus

218. pedestrian (walker)

219. policeman

220. office building

221. restaurant

222. house

223. apartment building

224. grocery store

225. vegetable/fruit store

226. butcher's shop

227. bakery

228. gas station

words having to do with a car

229. car

230. door

231. front seat

232. back seat

233. driver's seat

234. passenger seat

235. steering wheel

236. seat belt

237. break pedal

238. gas pedal

239. clutch pedal

240. speedometer

241. gas gauge

242. gear shift

243. emergency break

244. ignition switch

245. horn

246. hood

247. headlight

248. fender

249. license plate

250. engine

251. trunk

252. tire

253. fender

254. exhaust pipe

255. turn signal switch

256. light switch

257. put on/take off your seatbelt

258. turn on the car

259. turn off the car

260. drive forward

261. go in reverse

262. turn right

263. turn left

264. do a U-turn

265. turn on your left turn signal

266. turn on your right turn signal

267. use the horn

268. stop

269. speed up

270. slow down

271. turn on/off the headlights

272. turn on/off the highbeams

273. turn on/off the inside light

274. wind down the window

275. wind up the window

276. lock the door (from the inside)

277. lock the door (from the outside)

278. driver's license

prepositions

280. on

281. in

282. under

283. above

284. beside / next to

285. in front of

286. behind

287. to the left of

288. to the right of

living room

289. sofa

290. chair

291. pillow

292. coffee table

293. rug

294. carpet

295. cushion

296. window

297. curtain

298. lamp

299. ceiling light

300. light switch

301. electrical plug

302. phone plug

303. telephone

304. telephone cord

305. television

306. bookcase

bedroom

307. bed

308. sheet

309. pillow

310. blanket

311. dresser

312. closet

313. coat hanger

314. mirror

bathroom

315. toilet

316. bathtub

317. toilet paper

318. sink

319. towel

320. shower curtain

321. toothbrush

322. toothpaste

323. comb

324. plunger

325. shampoo

326. deodorant

basic adjectives

327. big

328. small

329. medium (of three, for example)

330. long

331. short

332. new

333. old

334. thick

335. thin

colors

336. color (the word for color)

337. white

338. black

339. red

340. orange

341. yellow

342. green

343. blue

344. purple

345. pink

346. brown

347. gray

shapes

348. square

349. rectangle

350. triangle

351. circle

352. oval

353. pentagon

354. hexagon

355. cube

356. box (rectangular solid)

357. sphere

things you can do with a pen

358. cap

359. take off the cap

360. put the cap back on

361. write

362. sign your name

363. draw a line, circle, square, etc.

basic adverbs

364. quickly

365. slowly

366. carefully

voice things

367. speak

368. sing

369. hum

370. whisper

371. shout/yell

372. stop speaking (singing, humming, etc.)

household items

373. light bulb

374. hammer

375. screwdriver

376. screw

377. wrench

378. pliers

379. broom

380. mop

381. dustpan

382. sweep the floor

383. mop the floor

384. trash can

385. trash bag

386. washing machine

387. dryer

388. iron

389. ironing board

390. clothes pin

clothing

391. shirt

392. pants

393. shoe

394. shoes

395. coat

396. underwear

397. sock

398. socks

399. watch

400. sweater

401. hat

402. belt

403. dress shirt

404. tie

405. dress

406. skirt

407. blouse

parts of the body

408. hair

409. forehead

410. eyebrow

411. eyelash

412. eye

413. ear

414. cheek

415. nose

416. lip/lips

417. mouth

418. moustache

419. beard

420. chin

421. throat

422. tooth / teeth

423. tongue

424. chest

425. back

426. shoulder

427. belly

428. arm

429. leg

430. thigh

431. shin

432. hand

433. finger

434. fingers

435. thumb

436. knuckle

437. fingernail

438. elbow

439. knee

440. foot

441. ankle

442. toe / toes

office

443. office

444. desk

445. computer

446. keyboard

447. monitor

448. printer

449. mouse

450. printer cable

451. voltage regular

452. power cord

453. disk drive

454. floppy disk

455. paper

456. modem

457. fax machine

458. scanner

459. shredder

words having to do with a wall calendar

460. today

461. yesterday

462. tomorrow

463. the day before yesterday

464. the day after tomorrow

465. week

466. this week

467. last week

468. next week

469. Sunday

470. Monday

471. Tuesday

472. Wednesday

473. Thursday

474. Friday

475. Saturday

476. month (this month, last month, next month)

477. next Thursday

478. last Monday

479. a week from Wednesday

480. holiday

with a clock

481. clock

482. 1:00

483. 2:00

484. 3:00

485. 4:00

486. 5:00

487. 6:00

488. 7:00

489. 8:00

490. 9:00

491. 10:00

492. 11:00

493. 12:00

494. 1:15

495. 2:30

496. 3:45

497. 4:20

498. 9:40

499. 8:55

500. 8:05

501. AM

502. PM
    گر خسته ای بمان و اگر خواستی بدان: ما را تمام لذت هستی به جستجوست ...
    اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
    Linkedin Profile

نظر

صبر کنید ..
    X