X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

• Daily Reading Comprehension (sample readings for teachers)l

Daily Reading Comprehension
    (sample readings for teachers)

متنهای درک مطلب زیر برای استفاده مدرسان زبان انگلیسی در کلاس درس جمع آوری شده اند. قبل از هر متن دستور العمل کوتاهی برای مدرس زبان وجود دارد و بعد از متن نیز سوالات درک مطلب برای زبان آموزان قرار داده شده. قبل از استفاده از این متون بد نیست مدرسان محترم مطالعه ای روی موضوع Reading Comprehension (Strategies & Skills) داشته باشند.

Day 1

To the Teachers:

Build background by defining what an autopsy is (examination of a dead body) and explaining when the practices discussed in the passage took place (c. 2500 bc). Have students read the passage independently, and then introduce the Monitor Comprehension strategy. Explain: Good readers monitor their comprehension by paying attention to how well they understand what they are reading. Model the strategy: As I was reading, I realized I didn’t understand exactly who Edwin Smith was. I reread that part of the passage slowly and figured out he was a man who bought antiques. Direct students to complete the strategy practice activity, and then have them share their responses. Then direct students to complete the skill practice activity. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Medical Practices in Ancient Egypt
    Learning from the Dead
    To find out why people have died, today’s medical examiners perform autopsies (AW-top-seez). They cut open the body and study its parts. Ancient Egyptians also performed autopsies to help understand causes of death. In addition, autopsies helped ancient Egyptians study the human body. By comparing the hearts of people who were different ages, for example, Egyptians could determine what a young, healthy heart was supposed to look like.

Keeping a Written Record

The Egyptians not only studied the human body, but they also kept detailed records of what they discovered. They wrote and drew their observations on papyrus, a form of paper. The papyrus records became the medical textbooks of that time. Their observations allowed Egyptian doctors to share their knowledge, including how to treat various diseases.

Edwin Smith Papyrus

In 1862, an American named Edwin Smith purchased a medical papyrus in Luxor, Egypt. Smith was not a medical expert, but he knew a lot about old documents. He knew that what he had found was valuable. The papyrus turned out to be an ancient textbook on surgery. The papyrus was probably written around 1600 bc, but it was based on information from a thousand years before that. The papyrus presents the information as case studies, including an analysis of how patients survived or died.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: How did autopsies help ancient Egyptians learn about the human body?

SKILL PRACTICE: Read each question. Fill in the bubble next to the correct answer.

1. Which one best describes what the headings do?
    They tell the main idea of the passage.
    They describe when events happened.
    They tell what each section is mostly about.
    They compare modern and ancient medicine.

2. What is the passage mostly about?
    Edwin Smith made an important discovery.
    The ancient Egyptians cut open bodiesto study their parts.
    The ancient Egyptians knew a lot aboutthe human body.
    Detailed records were written on papyrus.

3. Choose the detail that best supports this idea: "Autopsies helped the Egyptians learn aboutthe human body."
    Egyptians were able to compare body parts.
    Today’s medical examiners perform autopsies.
    Medical examiners learn a lot about bodies.
    Egyptians made records of their findings.

4. What are doctors in the year 3020 most likely tolearn by reading a medical textbook from 2020?
    how to perform the best surgery
    ancient Egyptian medical practices
    how to preserve bodies
    early twenty-first century medical practices

source: Daily Reading Comprehension; Evan-Moor Educational Publishers;2010

I believed my wisdom
    ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
    Angel

Click to Read My Other Poems

Day 2

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Monitor Comprehension strategy, and point out the instructions at the top of the page. Ask: How would pausing after each paragraph help me monitor comprehension? (It gives you a chance to think about the paragraph to make sure you understand it.) When students have finished reading the passage, model the strategy: I didn’t understand what the author meant when she said Isadore spent his time streaming world music. I reread and figured out that it meant Isadore used the Internet to listen to music on his computer. After students complete the strategy practice activity, have them share their responses. Then direct students to complete the skill practice activity. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Ishmael and Isadore
    Brothers Ishmael and Isadore were complete opposites. People who knew them both could hardly believe they were from the same planet, let alone the same family. The boys were not unkind toward one another, but their personalities were so different that it was difficult for them to reach a decision they both liked. Their mother frequently played the referee in their disagreements.
    Ishmael, the older brother, was tall and athletic, and he loved sports. He played baseball, football, and basketball. Isadore, the younger brother, hated sports. He was quieter and less active than his brother. He preferred spending his time on the computer, making short videos and writing blog entries.
    The brothers’ taste in music was completely different, too. Ishmael loved classic rock. He listened to bands like the Beatles, the Who, and the Rolling Stones. Isadore didn’t care much for those bands. He preferred spending his time streaming world music, especially music from Central Africa. Luckily for their parents, both boys enjoyed listening to music through headphones.
    One other thing the brothers did agree on was that they wanted a pet. Mom had resisted getting one, but after both brothers had pleaded and begged, she finally agreed.
    “We can get a pet, as long as you two take care of it,” she said. “That means you do the feeding, you do the training, and if it needs to be walked, you do the walking.”
    “No problem, Mom,” Ishmael and Isadore said together.
    “Good, we all agree,” Mom said. “Now, what kind of pet are we going to get?”

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Was there any part of the passage that you didn’t understand right away? How did you figure it out?

SKILL PRACTICE: Read each question. Fill in the bubble next to the correct answer.

1. Which best describes what the passage is about?
    two brothers who argue with their mother
    two brothers who love sports
    two brothers who are very much alike
    two brothers who mostly disagree

2. Which of these details supports the main idea of the passage?
    The brothers have different tastes in music.
    Mom says they must take care of the pet.
    The brothers have a lot in common.
    The brothers’ names are Ishmael and Isadore.

3. Based on information about the brothers, which of these do you predict will happen next?
    They will have trouble deciding what kind of pet to get.
    They will both want a dog to play sports with.
    They will both want to get a snake.
    They will agree on their pet’s name.

4. If the brothers get a dog, which of these is least likely to happen?
    Ishmael will run with the dog.
    Isadore will make videos of the dog.
    They will always agree on what to do with the dog.
    They will argue about who walks the dog.

I believed my wisdom
    ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
    Angel

نظر

Day 3

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Monitor Comprehension strategy. Then build background by helping students pronounce words they may find difficult and explaining more about the Mayan culture and civilization, if necessary. When students have finished reading, direct them to complete the strategy practice activity. Ask volunteers to share their responses, and discuss their answers as a group. Then direct students to complete the skill practice activity. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Mayan Calendars

The Maya were an influential people living in what is now Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador, and parts of southern Mexico. The ancient Maya developed sophisticated systems of agriculture, architecture, science, mathematics, and writing. One of the most important Mayan developments was the creation of calendars.

The ancient Maya had several calendars. The Tzolkin (ZOL-keen) calendar was tied to religious beliefs. The Haab (hayb) calendar was based on the length of a year.
      Understanding astronomy helped the Maya accurately measure days, months, and years. A year had 365 days by Mayan calculations, as it does in our own calendar. The Mayan year, though, was made up of 18 months, and each month had 20 days. An extra 5 days were added to complete the calendar year. These days rounded out the calendar nicely, but the Maya thought they were unlucky.
      One of the most unusual Mayan calendars was actually a pyramid. Around ad 1050, the Maya built the Pyramid of Kukulkan (KO-KUL-kan) at Chichén Itzá (chee-CHEN eet-SAH). The pyramid had a stairway on each of its four sides. Each stairway had 91 steps. Counting the platform at the top, there were 365 steps, the same number of days in the calendar year.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: List one or two words you found confusing and describe how you figured out their meanings.

1. What is the second paragraph mostly about?
      The Maya were a very hardworking people.
      The Maya had different kinds of calendars.
      Mayan months consisted of 20 days.
      The Maya built a pyramid that was a calendar.

2. What does the map show?
      how far Mayan culture spread
      locations of Mayan calendars
      where the Maya lived
      where people can visit Mayan ruins

3. Which detail supports the idea that the Pyramid of Kukulkan was a calendar?
      The pyramid had 365 steps.
      The pyramid had four sides.
      The pyramid was very unusual.
      The pyramid was built around ad 1050.

4. Which of these would a Mayan probably do during the last five days of the year?
      make a dangerous trip
      take a risk or a chance
      stay home
      have a wild party

I believed my wisdom
      Angel

نظر

Day 4

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Monitor Comprehension strategy, and build background by pointing out on a map where the different places mentioned in the passage are located. When students have finished reading, explain: One good way to monitor our comprehension is to recall the main idea of each paragraph. Assign students or small groups different paragraphs to focus on as they complete the strategy practice activity. Ask volunteers to share their responses and discuss how recalling the main idea helped them understand the paragraph better. For the skill practice activity, direct students to answer the items independently. Review the answers as a group.

Reading:

Ancient and Modern Chinese Characters
        In the Beginning
        When people write in English, they use letters of the alphabet. People who write in Chinese, however, use characters that stand for words or ideas. Historians believe Chinese writing began as early as 1500 bc. The earliest forms were called “oracle bones.” These were animal bones marked with pictures and symbols.
        In addition to writing on bones, the Chinese also made marks on turtle shells. By 1400 bc, the Chinese writing system had become more complex. It had more than 2,500 characters. Around 200 bc, Chinese characters became standardized. This means that everyone used the same characters.

Then and Now
        Many modern Chinese characters are similar to those from 2,000 years ago. For example, the character that means man in the Lishu system from 200 bc is similar to the character that means man from the Jiantizi, or modern simplified system, of the twentieth century.

A Simpler System
        People have made efforts to change Chinese characters over the centuries. The most important changes happened in the twentieth century. The Chinese government simplified many characters so that more people could learn to read. This simpler system is used in mainland China and Singapore. Traditional
        characters are used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau. Even with these changes, Chinese writing from 2,200 years ago is still understood today.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Did you understand the main points the writer makes? Why or why not?

1. What do the headings tell?
        the topic of each section
        a list of important Chinese characters
        important events in the development of the Chinese language
        how Chinese characters changed

2. Which detail supports the idea that ancient and modern Chinese characters are related?
        Animal bones were used for writing.
        There were once more than 2,500 characters.
        The ancient Chinese wrote symbols and characters on bones and turtle shells.
        Most of the characters from 2,200 years ago can still be read today.

3. What is the main idea of the passage?
        Modern Chinese characters are nothing like those used in ancient China.
        Modern Chinese characters were developed from symbols used in ancient China.
        Chinese writing uses an alphabet.
        Few people in ancient China could write.

4. Which of these would be another good heading for the third paragraph?
        “Provinces in China”
        “The Language of Singapore”
        “Twentieth-century Changes”
        “A Language for Everyone”

I believed my wisdom
        Angel

نظر

Day 5

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Monitor Comprehension strategy. Then point out the timeline on the page and say: Sometimes a passage will have a visual element, such as a timeline, that accompanies it. It’s important that we understand both the main passage and the timeline. When students have finished reading, direct them to complete the strategy and skill practice activities. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Colossus of Rhodes
          The Colossus of Rhodes, a giant bronze statue, was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. Other
          ancient civilizations also built large statues, but the Colossus of Rhodes was one of the tallest. At more than 105 feet (32 meters) tall, it was twice as big as most of the other colossi (kuh-LOSS-eye), or giant statues, of ancient times. The Statue of Liberty, its modern counterpart, is only slightly taller.

The Colossus of Rhodes was designed and built by the sculptor Chares (CHAR-eez) of Lindos. It showed the sun god Helios. The people of the Greek island of Rhodes had it built to celebrate the defeat of Demetrius I in 305 bc. Chares and the artists in his workshop began building the statue in 292 bc. The Colossus was completed twelve years later. It welcomed friends and warned foes as they approached the island’s harbor.

Unfortunately, the statue stood for only 56 years. In 224 bc, a powerful earthquake hit Rhodes. The quake damaged the Colossus, and it fell to the ground in giant pieces. The statue’s parts lay on the ground for hundreds of years, and travelers came from all over to see these impressive ruins.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: List two important facts about the Colossus of Rhodes.

1. Which best describes what the passage is about?
          the harbor in the ancient city of Rhodes
          how Rhodians defeated Demetrius I
          a giant statue built in ancient Greece
          building the Statue of Liberty

2. Which detail explains why the Colossus was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World?
          It watched over the Mandraki Harbor.
          It showed the sun god Helios.
          It was built by Chares of Lindos.
          It was twice as big as most ancient statues.

3. What does the timeline tell you that the passage does not?
          when the remains of the Colossus are removed
          the reason why the Colossus collapsed
          when the Colossus's construction was finished
          when Demetrius I was defeated

4. Which of these would most likely become a wonder of the modern world in the future?
          a life-size statue of a mayor of Chicago, Illinois
          a building in Dubai that is over 2,600 feet tall
          a recording of the most popular song of 2011
          a trophy from a twenty-first century
          World Series

I believed my wisdom
          Angel

نظر

Day 6

To the Teachers:

Make Connections
            This strategy helps students put what they are reading into context by helping them see the connections between the text and themselves, the world around them, and other things they have read or seen.

Introduce the Make Connections strategy to students and explain: When good readers read, they often will be reminded of something they have seen, done, or read before. This helps them better understand the situation, the details, or the feelings involved in what they are reading. But it is important to stay focused on the text and not be distracted by the connections you make. Have students read the instructions at the top of the page and the passage. When students have finished reading, model a connection you made with the text (e.g., Say: “Like the narrator, I was nervous the first time I rode a horse.”). Direct students to complete the strategy and skill practice activities. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Up to the Mountaintop

I like challenges, but this one was almost too difficult. I had begged Mom to take me on a completely new adventure for my sixteenth birthday. Now, here we were, just Mom and me with our guide, Milo, standing on the shore of Lake Arenal in Costa Rica. Towering above the lake was Volcán Arenal, one of the active volcanoes in the region. I watched as the volcano spit out lava and coughed up big boulders. Luckily, we were headed in the other direction.

Milo greeted us in Spanish and helped us mount our horses. Getting on my horse was difficult, but controlling it was a little easier. We started on our tour. The guidebook said we’d cross three rivers. As we splashed through a stream, I asked, “Was that the first river?”

“I don’t think so, Katie,” Mom said wryly.

Soon enough, we came to the first river. There was no mistaking it. I felt sick to my stomach when I saw that the far shore was half a football field away! The 4-foot-deep river flowed over boulders. So much for dry shoes—or jeans.

After two more rivers, the trail got even steeper and muddier. With each step of the horses’ hooves, there were loud squishing and sucking sounds. The rainforest was magnificent and absolutely beautiful. But I wondered whether my horse could keep its balance in knee-high mud. What did I know about horses? I imagined my mare stumbling on rocks hidden beneath the sludge—and us crashing over a cliff and being swept away by lava.

Three terrifying hours later, we came to a corral. Were we stopping, I wondered. To one side was a gorgeous view of the lake and volcano, and to the other, a brightly painted restaurant. “Okay,” I laughed nervously. “That was terrifying, but I’m so glad we did it!”

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Describe a personal experience that is similar to Katie’s experience.

1. Which adjectives best describe Katie?
            sensitive and shy
            calm and relaxed
            adventurous but nervous
            interested but withdrawn

2. Which inference can you make about Katie’s experience riding horses?
            She is an expert rider.
            She has probably trained others to ride.
            She dislikes horses.
            She has little experience riding horses.

3. Which best describes the setting of the memoir?
            dangerous
            boring
            busy
            crowded

4. What is the theme of Katie’s memoir?
            It is good to push yourself to try new things.
            Most people fail when they try new things.
            Fear stops people from trying new things.
            What is familiar is better than what is unknown.

I believed my wisdom
            Angel

نظر

Day 7

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Make Connections strategy and ask them if they have ever done something that was disgusting but important (cleaning the bathroom, taking out the trash, etc.). Say: You can use that experience to make a connection with this passage. Have students read the passage. When students have finished, direct them to complete the strategy practice activity. Ask volunteers to share their responses, and have students discuss how they answered the question based on their own experiences. Then direct students to complete the skill practice activity. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Dirty Job? Oh Yeah!
              “You couldn’t pay me to do that job!” Have you ever said that? Some occupations are so gross that most people would never be willing to do them.

Jeff Biggs has a job like that, but he likes it. He’s the kind of guy who, as a kid, loved to slosh around in mud after a rainstorm, the kind of kid who loved squeezing oatmeal through his fingers.

Biggs’s dirty job is being a sewer inspector. “Believe me,” says Biggs, “gross doesn’t come close to describing it; I creep, sometimes swim, through sewage all day.” City sewers carry household wastewater and storm-drain runoff to water treatment plants. In addition to the unpleasant smells, sewer tunnels are home to creatures such as cockroaches and rats. And these creatures aren’t shy.

What is it like to do a really disgusting job day after day? “Someone has to do it,” says Biggs. “I seriously can’t imagine sitting in an office all day, and I earn a good salary. At the end of my workday, I’ve accomplished something, and I’ve helped to keep our city’s water clean and drinkable.”

And after work? “I don’t walk into the house right away,” explains Biggs. “We installed the washing machine in the garage and put a shower stall in there, too. I toss my clothes into the washer, take a shower, and dress in clean clothes. Then I greet my family. Of course, sometimes, the clothes go into the trash, not the washer.”

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: What would happen if no one performed jobs like the one Jeff Biggs has?

1. Which adjectives best describe Jeff Biggs?
              * flashy, conceited, loud
              ** positive, upbeat, thoughtful
              *** smart, wealthy, nervous
              **** negative, shy, withdrawn

2. Which adjective best describes the settingin which Biggs works?
              * disgusting
              ** boring
              *** pleasant
              **** appealing

3. Which sentence best describes the central messageof the passage?
              * Biggs’s job embarrasses him.
              ** Biggs cannot imagine having a nicer job.
              *** Biggs is proud of the work he does.
              **** Biggs is just doing his job until he gets a better one.

4. Which one would Jeff Biggs probably mostenjoy being?
              * a lawyer
              ** a poet
              *** a computer programmer
              **** a deep-sea diver

I believed my wisdom
              Angel

نظر

Day 8

To the Teachers:

Tell students that making a connection is often good practice when reading about events or things from the past. Point out the instructions and say: Even if the time and place of what we are reading is unfamiliar, we can often understand more about a topic by connecting it to what we know to be true today. Have students read the passage. Then direct students to complete the strategy practice activity. Invite volunteers to share their responses, and point out the connections they found between natural disasters in the past and today. Finally, direct students to complete the skill practice activity. Review the answers together.

Reading:
                A Letter from Antioch

Antioch, Syria
                Saturday, May 23, ad 526
                Dear Father,
                I write to tell you the shocking news that has happened since your departure last month. On Wednesday, Antioch suffered a terrible earthquake. Mother and I are safe, and our house is damaged but still standing. However, over 220,000 people in the city have died, and officials expect even higher numbers as the survivors search the rubble for their loved ones. Hundreds are fleeing the city, carrying their few undamaged belongings on their backs.
                Many of the familiar churches, markets, theaters, and monuments have been destroyed. Some buildings that withstood the initial quake collapsed during aftershocks. One of the saddest losses was the Great Church. Although it survived the aftershocks, it caught fire yesterday and burned.
                Looters are going into collapsed buildings and stealing valuables. Thieves have attacked some people who are fleeing the city. But all hope is not lost. Just this morning, brave people rescued a young woman and her child from the ruins of a house. As I write, volunteers are retrieving many of our pieces of fine mosaic art. They are loading them into boats to transport them to other locations. And messengers arrived from Emperor Justin this morning. He has pledged to help us rebuild.
                I wish you a safe journey and urge caution on your return.
                Your son,
                Simeon

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Do you think people in the past reacted any differently to disasters from the way people do today? Explain.

1. From the letter, you can conclude that .
                Antioch was a small village in the year ad 526
                most people were calm after the earthquake
                as days pass, the death toll will decrease
                in ad 526, Antioch was a large, cultured city

2. Why are people probably fleeing the city?
                They are afraid to be caught with stolen items.
                They are afraid of more earthquakes.
                They are going to search for lost loved ones.
                They want to save the city’s mosaics.

3. Which theme does the letter communicate?
                Most people stay calm during catastrophes.
                People only appreciate what they have after they lose it.
                Even in tragedy, good things happen.
                Saving people is more important than protecting art.

4. How does Simeon feel about Antioch?
                sad about the city’s destruction
                disgusted by the city’s crime rate
                frustrated by the city’s leadership
                amused by the Emperor’s offer

I believed my wisdom
                Angel

نظر

Day 9

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Make Connections strategy, and then point out the instructions and the title. Say: As good readers, we connect what we are reading to other things that we have read or seen before. Then elicit from students common traits of folk tales (talking animals; a moral; set in ancient times; etc.). Have students read the passage. When students have finished the strategy practice activity, have volunteers share their responses. Discuss responses that include other folk tales or myths. Then direct students to complete the skill practice activity. Review the answers together.

Reading:

The Elephant and the Hummingbird
                  Long, long ago—in the days when people could talk to animals and learn their stories—an elephant walked slowly beside the Yellow River. This was before animals were tamed, even before the first Chinese emperors ruled. That’s how long ago it was.
                  The elephant was enjoying a peaceful stroll. Thick grasses and beautiful lotus flowers bloomed, and the water in the Yellow River made a pleasant swishing sound as it flowed past the elephant.
                  Noticing what appeared to be a hummingbird, the elephant stopped. Although they don’t exist in China today, the elephant had seen hummingbirds before. He’d watched them hover above lotus flowers, their wings beating so quickly that they appeared only as a blur. The elephant sometimes wished he could move as quickly as a hummingbird. This one, however, was lying upside down, her wings motionless and her legs pointing toward the sky. Occasionally, the little bird would sigh heavily or grunt, as if working extra hard.
                  “What are you doing?” asked the elephant. He slowly walked around the hummingbird, trying to understand the odd behavior. “You look ridiculous, you know.”
                  “I am holding up the sky,” replied the hummingbird calmly. “I overheard that it might fall today.”
                  The elephant raised his trunk and made a sound that today might pass as a deep laugh. “You’re holding up the sky? Why, just look at it. The sky is bigger than I am, and I doubt you could hold me up. Even if the sky were going to fall, your tiny legs could not possibly do the job.”
                  “Ah,” said the hummingbird, “but these are the only legs I have. I might not be able to do it by myself, but I am doing what I can.”

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Describe a story, movie, or experience that this folk tale reminds you of.

1. Where and when does the folk tale take place?
                  on a ship on the Yellow River
                  on a Yellow River bridge around ad 1400
                  in a Chinese flower garden
                  beside a river in ancient China

2. How does the elephant probably feel about what the hummingbird is doing?
                  He thinks she is smart.
                  He thinks she is arrogant.
                  He thinks she is wasting her time.
                  He thinks she is selfish.

3. What is the message of the folk tale?
                  People do what they can with what they have.
                  Past wisdom is better than present wisdom.
                  It is always best not to look ridiculous.
                  It is risky to try things that other people say are impossible.

4. Which of these conflicts is important in the story?
                  good vs. evil
                  trying vs. watching
                  strength vs. weakness
                  being tame vs. being free

I believed my wisdom
                  Angel

نظر

Day 10

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Make Connections strategy. Tell students they are going to read about a group of kids who changed the way newspapers were sold. Then have students read the passage. When students have finished, direct them to find two details from the passage that describe a very different way of life from today. Ask students how making a connection to the life of a newsboy could help a reader better understand the passage (e.g., Being treated unfairly by others helps a reader understand what it was like for the newsboys to be cheated by the newspapers.). Direct students to complete the strategy and skill practice activities. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Newsies Strike New York
                    Today, people can buy a newspaper from a machine or at a newsstand. But back in the 1800s, newsboys, or “newsies,” were the principal sellers of newspapers. Newsies sold their newspapers, or “papes,” on New York’s streets. Newsies bought their newspapers from the companies that printed them. The newsboys then made their money by selling the newspapers to customers.
                    For two weeks in 1899, however, the newsies went on strike, refusing to sell papers. Boys from 5 to 15 years old united to make two newspaper companies reduce the price that they charged newsies for the newspapers. Striking newsboys held rallies, gave speeches, and chose leaders. One rally drew more than 7,000 striking newsies. Newsboys who continued to sell papers were harassed by the strikers. Some strikers threw the newspapers away, and others threatened to hurt the newsboys who wouldn’t stop selling newspapers.
                    What started the strike? During the Spanish-American War, people were eager to read the news, so the Journal and Evening World raised the price that they charged for their newspapers. Newsies had to pay ten cents more for the papers. A dime made a difference to the kids who earned less than a dollar each day. Most newsies lived on the streets. Others used their earnings to help their struggling families. When the war ended, newsies expected newspaper companies to reduce their prices, but that did not happen.
                    Although the cost of papers to newsies never dropped, the strike was considered a success. The two offending newspaper companies agreed to buy back all unsold papers, and eventually this strike helped bring about child labor laws in the United States.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: What does the newsies’ strike of 1899 remind you of today?

1. Where and when did the strike occur?
                    in a Spanish-American colony in the 1800s
                    in New York City in the 1950s and 60s
                    in New York City in 1899
                    in Spain in the 1890s

2. How do you think the strike helped bring about labor laws?
                    The public became aware of the newsboys’ problems.
                    The newspaper companies decided to help all newsboys.
                    People decided to buy their newspapers from machines and newsstands.
                    Newspaper companies stopped selling their newspapers to the public.

3. What lesson can you learn from the passage?
                    Working together gets things done.
                    People should not read about war.
                    Holding rallies is not a good strategy for changing things.
                    Businesses that treat workers badly do not succeed.

4. Based on the passage, which characteristics were most common in a newsboy?
                    kind, sweet-tempered, and gentle
                    cruel, defiant, and undependable
                    smart, quiet, and considerate
                    self-reliant, hardworking, and loyal

I believed my wisdom
                    Angel

نظر

Day 11

To the Teachers:

Introduce the Visualization strategy to students. Explain: When good readers read, they often make mental pictures of what they are reading about. They turn what they are reading into a kind of “movie” that plays in their mind. But this doesn’t mean they daydream. They pay attention to important and descriptive words. Tell students to close their eyes and visualize as you read the first four sentences of the first paragraph. Read the sentences slowly to give students time to understand and visualize the important descriptions (evergreen forests; covered in clouds; located on mountains; cool temperatures that create clouds covering the trees). Direct students to read the passage and to complete the strategy and skill practice activities. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Forests of Clouds and Mist

You’ve probably heard of rainforests, but do you know what a cloud forest is? Cloud forests are evergreen forests that are often covered in clouds or mist and are located on mountains. Cool temperatures on mountain slopes create clouds that cover the trees. There are cloud forests on most continents. Central and South America have them, as do Asia and Africa. You can also find cloud forests in Hawaii and on Caribbean islands.

Cloud forests have different names, depending on where they are found. Cloud forests are also known as fog forests or mossy forests. In Peru and Bolivia, cloud forests are part of a larger ecosystem called yungas, which means “warm lands.”

Many scientists consider cloud forests to be a special type of rainforest. Cloud forests are not as warm as tropical rainforests because they are found at higher elevations that have colder air. But cloud forests and tropical rainforests both have many different plants and animals living within their ecosystems.

Like tropical rainforests, cloud forest trees drip with moisture, but it does not often rain in a cloud forest. Instead, the fog collects as dew on leaves, vines, and branches. This dew provides the water that the plants need. Green moss, ferns, and exotic, colorful orchid flowers hang down from the canopy. Other plants and bushes crowd between the trees, and hundreds of insects crawl and fly amid the vegetation. Cloud forests are as diverse and interesting as rainforests or temperate forests.

Cloud forests have animals that aren’t found anywhere else, such as mountain gorillas and a strange woolly mammal called the mountain tapir. The colorful quetzal bird is also found there, and golden toads hop among the bushes. Recently, scientists discovered a new cloud forest animal, a black and brown rodent that looks like a cross between a squirrel and a rat. Cloud forests probably contain hundreds of other rare and fascinating plants and animals that people have never seen before.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Underline words or phrases from the passage that you were able to visualize.

1. What is the passage mostly about?
                      the animals of the cloud forest
                      what the cloud forest is like
                      where cloud forests are found
                      how scientists study the cloud forest

2. Clouds form in the cloud forest because ....
                      temperatures are cool
                      there are so many trees
                      the forests are so low
                      it is so moist there

3. The passage includes details about ....
                      why scientists study cloud forests
                      the kinds of trees in cloud forests
                      the animals and plants of cloud forests
                      why cloud forests are endangered

4. How are cloud forests and tropical rainforests different?
                      Cloud forests have more plants.
                      Cloud forests are wetter.
                      Cloud forests are studied by scientists.
                      Cloud forests are found on mountain slopes.

I believed my wisdom
                      Angel

نظر

Day 12

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Visualization strategy. Say: It’s important to look for words we can easily picture. Read the first sentence from the passage aloud. Ask: Which is easier to picture: Sunday, airwaves, or kids? (kids) That’s because a kid is something we can see. When you visualize, look for words that represent something physical or concrete. Have students read the instructions at the top of the page and the passage. When students have finished reading, use a world map or globe to help them find all of the nations mentioned in the passage. Then direct students to complete the strategy and skill practice activities. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Kids Take to the Airwaves

On the first Sunday in March each year, kids get to take over the world’s airwaves. The United Nations
                        Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has designated that day as the International Children’s Day of Broadcasting, or ICDB. Television and radio stations around the world invite young people to be part of their programming. Thousands of broadcasters and kids participate, and the programs focus on children’s interests and issues. Kids are also involved in the broadcast process, learning how radio and television programs are made. ICDB gives children a voice that can be heard around the world.

On ICDB in 2009, young people all over the globe reported on issues that affected them. Nearly 100 children from India recorded stories about a flood in their area. Children in China drew pictures with messages for their parents. In Senegal, young people spoke out against violence by giving reports, conducting interviews, writing poems, and singing songs. German children talked with young people in Serbia and shared drawings and photographs. Australian kids voiced their opinions to children in Cambodia, Fiji, and Tonga. Kids produced videos on a variety of different topics, from air pollution to loneliness. Across the world, young people expressed their feelings and sent messages about what mattered most to them.

After ICDB is over, UNICEF holds a contest for the best radio or television program. People who make the programs that air during ICDB can send submit their programs. The winners attend a special celebration. The 2009 radio winner was a station in Brazil that broadcasted a show for 24 hours about children from poor communities. The show used interviews, diaries, and music to promote peace. The winner for the television program was a station in Kenya. The show, which was hosted by two Kenyan youths, talked about the challenges that Kenyan children face and highlighted positive stories about young people in their communities.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Write three nouns (people, places, or things) that were easy for you to picture.

1. What is the first paragraph mostly about?
                        what UNICEF is
                        young people on television
                        the ICDB
                        children communicating

2. What is the second paragraph mostly about?
                        programs that UNICEF offers
                        Australian children
                        the ICDB in 2009
                        Malaysian videos

3. What do TV and radio stations both do on ICDB?
                        invite children to be part of programming
                        ask young people to talk to their parents
                        raise money for UNICEF
                        encourage children to join UNICEF

4. The purpose of the ICDB is to ...
                        raise money for children
                        give young people a voice
                        help kids get jobs in broadcasting
                        give awards for broadcasting

I believed my wisdom
                        Angel

نظر

Day 13

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Visualization strategy. Say: When you visualize as you read, it is important to adjust your mental image when you get new information. Imagine that you are reading a story about a black kitten. You might picture a small kitten. If you then read the kitten was the size of a firetruck, you’d need to change your mental image to match the details in the story. Direct students to read the passage and to complete the strategy and skill practice activities. Review the answers together.

Reading:

Not Quite the Same

When most people want to see what they look like, they look in a mirror. I don’t need a mirror to see
                          myself, though. I can just look at my identical twin sister, Sarita.

Sarita and I have always worn our hair the same way—long and straight, with bangs. We have the same dark eyes and big smile, and we both have one crooked tooth on the right. We both love the color green, hate eating fish, and think mayonnaise is disgusting. We play the violin, and every year we compete with each other for the position of first violin in the school orchestra.

In some ways, however, we’re totally different. Sarita always wears funky hats, which I think is really weird. She thinks it’s strange that I like jazz music. Some people say that our biggest difference is that Sarita is in a wheelchair. She was in a car accident when she was very young, and her spine was badly injured. To me, however, the real difference between us is that Sarita has courage and determination. She has never let being in a wheelchair slow her down, and she’s almost never angry or unhappy about what happened to her. So when I look in the mirror, I see myself—Celia—but I also see Sarita, a better version of me. She’s the me I try to be.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Sketch how you visualized the two girls here.

how twins compete
                          how Sarita was injured
                          how the twins are similar and different
                          how Celia feels about Sarita

2. How are Celia and Sarita similar?
                          They both wear funky hats.
                          They both play violin.
                          They both love eating fish.
                          They both love jazz music.

3. Which one is a difference between the twins?
                          Sarita is more determined.
                          Celia has shorter hair.
                          Sarita has a bigger smile.
                          Celia has darker eyes.

4. Celia wants to be like Sarita because she ....
                          is jealous of Sarita’s talents
                          thinks Sarita is prettier
                          wants to be a better violinist
                          admires Sarita’s attitude

I believed my wisdom
                          Angel

نظر

Day 14

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Visualization strategy. Say: Good readers pay attention to the words in a passage. Specific action words—or verbs—and clear describing words—or adjectives—help us make mental images as we read. Which is a better verb, go or shuffle? (shuffle) Which is a clearer adjective to describe french fries, good or salty? (salty) Have students read the instructions at the top of the page and then read the passage. When students have finished reading, direct them to complete the strategy and skill practice activities. Review the answers together.

Reading:

A Plane in the Hudson River

Some airplanes are made specifically to land on water, but US Airways Flight 1549 was not one of those
                            planes. The plane took off from LaGuardia Airport on January 15, 2009, with 155 people on board. Just three minutes later, the pilot, Captain Chesley Sullenberger, radioed that the plane was in trouble. It had hit some large geese. The left engine had exploded in fire, smoke, and metal.

Captain Sullenberger quickly realized that the plane could not make it back to the airport. The aircraft was rapidly losing power and would soon be too slow to stay in the air. Sullenberger turned the plane toward the Hudson River, which flows between New York and New Jersey.

“Brace for impact!” Captain Sullenberger announced over the intercom. Many passengers were tense and scared, but the flight crew did their best to keep everyone calm. Most passengers lowered their heads and got ready for a rough crash landing.

After several tension-filled minutes, Captain Sullenberger landed the plane perfectly on the surface of the Hudson River. People watching from ferries that were traveling between New York and New Jersey were shocked at the sight. The plane’s passengers climbed onto the wings as the plane began to fill with water and sink. Boats from both sides of the river rushed to aid the stranded passengers. The waters were icy cold, and the smell of gasoline filled the air. As passengers scrambled from the plane to the waiting boats, rescuers handed them blankets, coats, and life jackets to stay warm.

All 155 people were brought to safety, and Captain Sullenberger was celebrated as a hero. It was the first time a major aircraft had ever crash-landed in water with no deaths.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Underline the verbs and draw a box around the adjectives that helped you visualize the scene as you read.

the reasons planes crash
                            the courage of Captain Sullenberger
                            the emergency landing of Flight 1549
                            the dangers of flying

2. The plane’s engines quit working because the plane ....
                            filled with water
                            had hit birds
                            began to sink
                            carried too many people

3. How did this landing differ from other emergency water landings?
                            This plane was designed to land on water.
                            This plane did not sink.
                            The engines continued to run.
                            Everyone survived the crash.

4. People in New York and New Jersey were shocked because ....
                            they saw large birds in the air
                            boats came to rescue the passengers
                            there was an airplane in the river
                            Captain Sullenberger stayed on the plane

I believed my wisdom
                            Angel

نظر

Day 15

To the Teachers:

Remind students of the Visualization strategy. Say: It may be easy for you to make a mental image of what you are reading, but as a good reader, you must make sure to visualize only the most important ideas or actions in a passage or story. It’s impossible to make a mental image of everything you read. Point out the first sentence in the last paragraph. Ask: Do you think it’s important to visualize scientists sitting around having a debate? (no) Say: You should visualize the parts of the passage that support what the passage is mostly about. Then have students read the instructions at the top of the page and the passage. When students have finished reading, pair them for the strategy practice activity or complete it as a group. Prompt students to defend their choices of what they visualized from the passage. Then direct students to complete the skill practice activity. Review the answers together.

Reading:

The World’s Biggest Wave

A tsunami is a giant ocean wave. It is usually created by an earthquake on the seafloor and can travel hundreds or even thousands of miles across the ocean. The biggest local tsunami ever to hit land happened on July 9, 1958, when an earthquake shook the undersea fault near Lituya Bay, Alaska. Lituya Bay is part of Alaska’s Glacier Bay National Park. The magnitude 8.0 earthquake shook 40 million cubic yards of dirt, rocks, and ice from a mountain at the head of the bay. The landslide fell 3,000 feel and hit the water with tremendous force, which created the enormous tsunami wave. The wave was more than 1,640 feet (500 meters) high and crashed over five square miles of land, uprooting millions of trees.

There were no towns in the area, so unlike the deadly tsunami of 2004, in which more than 200,000 people in Indonesia and elsewhere were killed, the 1958 tsunami killed two people. They were on a fishing boat anchored in the bay when the wave swamped them. Another boat, the Badger, was carrying William Swanson and his wife. The boat rode the wave inland before it began to sink. The Swansons were able to leap to a small skiff and were rescued a few hours later. A third boat, the Edrie, with Howard Ulrich and his seven-year-old son aboard, rode the wave over land and then back out to the bay. The Ulriches, amazingly, were unharmed.

For many years, scientists debated about what really caused the tsunami in Lituya Bay. Some scientists claimed the amount of debris that fell into the bay was not enough to cause such a massive wave. They thought that the earthquake itself triggered the wave. However, as our understanding of geology, earthquakes, and tsunamis improved, most scientists now accept the rockslide as the true cause for the wave. No one disputes, however, that the wave was the largest ever recorded and will likely remain so for years to come.

Questions:

STRATEGY PRACTICE: Describe to a partner the parts of the passage you thought were the most important to visualize in order to understand the main idea of the passage.

1. Most tsunamis occur because ....
                              dirt and ice fall into the sea
                              there is an earthquake on the seafloor
                              there is a storm far out at sea
                              there is an earthquake on land

2. How high was the tsunami in Lituya Bay?
                              more than 1,640 feet
                              5 square miles
                              40 million cubic yards
                              500 feet

3. How were the 1958 and 2004 tsunamis different?
                              More people died in the 1958 tsunami.
                              The 2004 tsunami was a bigger wave.
                              Nobody died in the 2004 tsunami.
                              The 2004 tsunami killed a lot of people.

4. What happened to the Ulriches?
                              Their boat was swamped.
                              They escaped in a skiff.
                              They rode the wave.
                              They were killed by the wave.

I believed my wisdom
                              Angel

نظر

صبر کنید ..
                              X