Pun (جناس)

Collapse
X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

• Pun (جناس)

PUN (also called paranomasia): A play on two words similar in sound but different in meaning. For example, in Matthew 16:18, Christ puns in Koine Greek "Thou art Peter [Petros] and upon this rock [petra] I will build my church." Shakespeare, in Romeo and Juliet, puns upon Romeo's vile death (vile=vial, the vial of poison Romeo consumed). Shakespeare's poetic speaker also puns upon his first name (Will) and his lover's desire (her will) in the sonnets, and John Donne puns upon his last name in "Hymn to God the Father." Originally, puns were a common literary trope in serious literature, but after the eighteenth century, puns have been primarily considered a low form of humor. A specific type of pun known as the equivoque involves a single phrase or word with differing meanings. For instance, one epitaph for a bank teller reads "He checked his cash, cashed in his checks, / And left his window. / Who's next?" The nineteenth-century poet, Anita Owen, uses a pun to side-splitting effect in her verse:
    O dreamy eyes,
    They tell sweet lies of Paradise;
    And in those eyes the lovelight lies
    And lies--and lies--and lies!
    Another type of pun is the asteismus, in which one speaker uses a word one way, but a second speaker responds using the word in a different sense. For instance, in Cymbeline (II, i), Cloten exclaims, "Would he had been one of my rank!" A lord retorts, "To have smell'd like a fool," twisting the meaning of rank from a noun referring to "noble status" to an adjective connoting "a foul smell." Yet another form of pun is the paragram, in which the wordplay involves altering one or more letters in a word. It is often considered a low form of humor, as in various knock-knock jokes or puns such as, "What's homicidal and lives in the sea? Answer: Jack the Kipper." In spite of the pun's current low reputation, some of the best writers in English have been notoriously addicted to puns: noticeably Shakespeare, Chaucer, and James Joyce.
    ویرایش توسط baran.amad : https://forum.motarjemonline.com/member/3147-baran-amad در ساعت 09-09-2011, 11:32 AM
    همیشه آخر هر چیز خوب می شود. اگر نشد بدان هنوز آخر آن نرسیده است....چارلی چاپلین

جناس یا Pun بازی با کلماتی است که دارای آواهای مشترک (هم آوا:homonyms) یا آواهای بسیار مشابه هستند، ولی معانی آنها کاملاً متفاوت است. نمونه آن آخرین کلمه در عنوان کمدی The Importance of Being Earnest، نوشته اسکار وایلد است. جناس ها غالبا کاربرد های ادبی جدی دارند. مرجعیت پاپ در کاتولیک گری روم به یک جناس یونانی برمی گردد که مسیح در متیو 16:18 برزبان آورده است، "تو پیتر [پتروس] هستی و من بر روی این صخره [پترا] کلیسا را بنا می کنم."

شکسپیر و برخی دیگر از نویسندگان هم برای مضامین جدی و هم کمیک از جناس بهره گرفته اند. در رومئو و ژولیت (پرده ی 3، صحنه ی 1، صفحه 101) مرکوشیو در حالی که ا زخونریزی جان می دهد با اندوه می گوید:
    "Ask for me tomorrow and you will find me a grave man".
    [شکسپیر با واژه ی grave (به معانی قبر و مهم) جناس سازی کرده است.]

جان دان در سرتاسر شعر پر هیبت "ستایشسرودی به خداوند پدر" با نام خود و فعل done جناس سازی کرده است.

میلتون مبتکر بسیار متبحری بود که در "بهشت از دست رفته" جناسهای جدی خلاقانه ای را ابداع کرد. اما در قرن هجدهم و پس از آن، جناس در ادبیات بطور گسترده با هدف کمیک مورد استفاده قرار گرفته است. در این زمینه تنها استثنای بی نظیر، "بیداری فنیگان ها" (1939) نوشته جیمز جویس است که در سرتاسر اثرش برای ایجاد توامان هر دونوع تاثیر اعم از جدی و کمیک با سطوح معنایی مختلف از جناس استفاده می کند.

یک نوع خاص از جناس که تحت عنوان ایهام (equivoque) شناخته می شود، عبارت است از استفاده از یک واژه یا عبارت واحد با دو معنی متمایز در یک بافت، به گونه ای که هر دو معنای آن مرتبط باشند.
    نمونه ی این نوع جناس مثنوی زیر در آوازی از سیمبلین شکسپیر است:
    Golden lads and girls all must,
    As chimney sweepers, come to dust

در کتیبه زیر که برای یک تحویلدار بانک پیشنهاد شده است چند عبارت ایهام وجود دارد:
    He checked his cash, cashed in his checks,
    And left his window. who is next?

برگرفته از: فرهنگ توصیفی اصطلاحات ادبی، ویراست هفتم؛ نوشته ام.اچ.ایبرمز؛ ترجمه سعید سبزیان؛ انتشارات رهنما 1384.

I believed my wisdom
    ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
    Angel

Click to Read My Other Poems

نظر

صبر کنید ..
    X