Collapse
X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

ESLPodcast 33 - Being Gifted
    ESLPodcast 33 - Being Gifted

Having a special talent in sports or music can be a great thing. Find out how to talk about it on today's podcast.
    Tags: Daily Life
    ESLPodcast 33

Part1

Would you want to have a special talent in something? Maybe as a musician or an athlete? I'm of two minds about this. Sometimes I watch TV or read about someone who has a special talent. This was true during the Olympics. Some of those athletes I saw were very talented. Whether it was playing soccer, running track, ice skating, or doing gymnastic routines, you could see how gifted they were and how well- trained and focused they were. I get the same feeling when I see musicians who can sing well or play an instrument easily. Watching or listening to them can take your breath away . I sometimes wish I had an special gift like theirs.

On the other hand, I also read about stories of children who are singled out as having talent early in life. Some of these kids begin training or practicing at the exclusion of other things kids do, like hanging out with friends or learning things in other subjects. Some of these kids don't go to school but are taught at home with tutors instead. They may be sent away to teachers or trainers in other cities, sometimes even without their parents. And, sometimes they spend so much time developing their talent, they don't have much time to develop other parts of their lives. These kids often live under a lot of pressure to perform. I envy these kids' talent, but I don't envy their lives.

I guess maybe it's not so bad being mediocre after all. At least that's what I'll keep telling myself when I practice this week.

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse

فایل های پیوست شده
    گر خسته ای بمان و اگر خواستی بدان: ما را تمام لذت هستی به جستجوست ...
    اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
    Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 34 - Cafe Living

ESLPodcast 34 - Cafe Living

Going to a cafe to talk or read can be very relaxing. Learn how to talk about it in today's podcast.
      Tags: Entertainment, Dining

ESLPodcast 34

Part1

One of my favorite hang-outs is a cafe near where I live called Bolivar in Santa Monica. It's only five minutes away, and its never too busy to find a table. Sometimes it can be bustling, but that's usually just in the morning during rush hour or at lunchtime. The owners are from Venezuela, and always have some cool music playing in the background.

Yesterday, I decided to take my New York Times and my laptop and kill a few hours there. I ordered the usual. I'm a regular , the folks there know I want a Vanilla Latte with a double shot of espresso, hold the whipped cream. Sometimes I'll order a coffee cake if I'm feeling a little hungry. The cafe also has soup and sandwich menu you can order off of.

Cafes are great for people watching. Sometimes I just sit and watch the people come and go. You get all types at this cafe. Yesterday, for example, a mother comes in with her three daughters, and one of the little girls ordered a latte! This being Los Angeles, you have your typical mix of screenwriters, out-of-work actors, and various Hollywood wannabes. They make for a colorful mix most of the time. Me, I just sit and read my paper. I'm no actor, but someday I would like to direct.

Script by Dr. Jeff McQuillan

فایل های پیوست شده
      اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
      Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 35 - Working Late at the Office

ESLPodcast 35 - Working Late at the Office

What do you do when you have too much work to do? Find out on today's podcast.
        Tags: Business

ESLPodcast 35

Part1

I was so glad it was Friday afternoon. I've been thinking--TGIF--all day. I was on my way out of the office when I saw Nick sitting at his desk. Even though the office was nearly empty, he didn't look like he was ready to leave. In fact, he looked like he was still swamped with work.

Linda: Hi, Nick. You're here late.

Nick: Yeah, it looks like this may be an all-nighter. I just got a project dumped in my lap.

Linda: You're kidding! On Friday afternoon? What happened?

Nick: Well, the person who was put in charge of this project went on maternity leave this week and the person who was supposed to take it over just resigned.

Linda: I can't believe that. When is the deadline? I hope you're getting some extra help.

Nick: The project is due first thing Monday morning. And, with the lay-offs recently, I think I'm on my own on this one.

Linda: Why don't you bring me up to speed? Maybe I can help.

Nick: No, it's Friday. You look like you're about to head home. I can't ask you to do that.

Linda: I don't have any big plans for tonight. So, I'll tell you what. I'm having some trouble finishing the budget on my proposal and I know you're a whiz at numbers. Why don't I stay and help you with your project for the next few hours and you can give me a hand with my budget next week.

Nick: That's really nice of you. It would be a big relief. I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed and I know you've done a project like this before. Okay, you've got a deal!

Linda: Good! Now, let's see what we've got.

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
        فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
        Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 36 - Shopping at the Mall
          ESLPodcast 36 - Shopping at the Mall

If you need new clothing, you go to the shopping mall. Learn how to talk about shopping on today's podcast.
          Tags: Shopping

ESLPodcast 36

Part1

I needed a new dress for a wedding I was attending next week so I went to the mall during my lunch hour. The mall had a big variety of stores, including two department stores so I was sure to find something that was just right. I found a space in the parking structure and entered the mall through the main entrance. This was right next to the food court.

Okay, where to start?

I headed to one of the two department stores. On the way there, though, I saw a nice dress in a window display of a women's clothing store. I decided to go in. As I walked in, I saw a sales clerk hanging some shirts on a rack. She said, "Hi, can I help you find something?"

"Oh, I'm just browsing," I said.

"Okay. Let me know if you need any help." I told her "thanks" and started looking around the store. There were some nice sweaters folded on the shelves and some dress pants on the racks. I made my way toward the back of the store and found the same dress I saw in the window display. And, it was on sale! It was 50% off. I started looking for my size. There were plenty of smalls and larges, but no mediums.

The sales clerk was walking by just then so I asked her, "Do you have any other sizes in the back?" But, I was out of luck. This was all they had.

"But," she said, "I have this dress in a medium and it's been marked down, too. Would you like to try it on?" I said I did and followed her to the dressing room. She said, "My name is Cheryl. Let me know if you need anything else." I tried the dress on and it fit perfectly. I liked the color, too.

I took the dress to the register. The sales clerk asked, "Are you ready?" I told her I was and she started ringing me up. The clerk told me the total and asked me, "How would you like to pay for this?"

"With my MasterCard," I said and handed her my credit card.

She processed the card and asked me sign the credit card receipt. She handed me a copy and a bag with my new dress in it. She said, "There you go. I hope you like the dress. Thanks for coming in."

I thanked her and left. I couldn't believe I got my shopping done so quickly. There's a first time for everything.

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
          فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
          Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 37 - Buying a Pet
            ESLPodcast 37 - Buying a Pet

Finding a good pet can be difficult. Learn how to talk about it on today's podcast.
            Tags: Shopping

ESLPodcast 37

Part1

My niece is turning 8 next week and I decided to buy her a new pet. She had been asking her parents for a pet for a long time. But, they were worried about taking care of a pet. I told them I would go to the pet store to see if I could find a pet that wouldn't be too much of a bother.

I walked into a big pet store and looked around. I saw cages with dogs and cats. There were also bird cages with birds of every color. I even saw some snakes!

I saw a sales clerk and asked him for help. I told him that I was looking for a pet that was easy to take care of. He suggested a cat or a kitten. But, I told him that my niece was allergic to cats. Then, he suggested a puppy. I walked over to the rows of dog kennels and asked the clerk how often they needed to be walked. He said that usually, they needed to be taken out three to five times a day. That was much too much work, I told him.

He then showed me some birds, including a parrot. Then, I asked him how often the cages had to be cleaned, and when he told me, I nixed that idea.

Finally, he took me to the back of the store. I have the perfect pet for you, he said. I looked around and saw acquariums full of fish. There were about 20 different kinds. The clerk said that they were very easy to take care of. With the right equipment, you don't have to clean the tank regulary and all you have to do is feed the fish. That was it! The perfect solution.

The next time I visited my niece, she told me she loved her fish. She had named them all. She even named one after me. It was called "Jeffish." Get it? Now, she's happy and so are her parents. Just before I left, my niece asked me: When can we go to Disneyland ?

Ah, the work of an uncle is never done.

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
            فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
            Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 38 - Food for the Barbecue

ESLPodcast 38 - Food for the Barbecue

If you want to have a barbecue, you need to buy some food. Find out how on today's podcast.
              Tags: Dining, Shopping

ESLPodcast 38

Part1

I moved into the new apartment last month and decided to invite a few friends over for a house-warming party. I didn't want to spend the day cooking, so I decided to have a barbeque. The food would be easy to prepare and I could cook it when my friends got here. But first, I had to go get a few things at the supermarket.

I got to the store and got a cart. I started out in the meat department. It wouldn't be a barbeque without hamburgers so I bought some ground beef. I also picked up some chicken breasts and hot dogs. I skipped the seafood counter since I didn't want to bother with fish.

Then, I was off to the produce department. I got some corn on the cob and a lot of vegetables for grilling for my friends who are vegetarians. Then, I was off to the bakery section. I needed buns for the hamburgers and hot dogs, and I also bought some cookies for dessert.

Then, I was almost done. I went down each aisle looking for the condiments-- the ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. And, just before wrapping things up, I went to the liquor department and got some beer, wine, and soda. Nearly everyone I invited asked if they could bring something for the party and but I told them no. I would have plenty of food and drink.

That was it. I stood in line at the check-out stand, staring at the magazine rack full of tabloids, until the cashier rang me up. The shopping went off without a hitch. Now, all I have to do is clean my messy apartment. That's the hard part.

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
              فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
              Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 39 - Reality T.V
                ESLPodcast 39 - Reality T.V

Everyone is watching reality television nowadays. Find out how to talk about it on today's podcast.
                Tags: Entertainment

ESLPodcast 39

Part1

It's hard to watch TV these days without seeing reality shows. Some nights, it's hard to find a scripted drama to watch. There are so many different kinds of reality shows, too. The most popular one in the U.S. has been the "American Idol" show. This is a singing competition where amateurs try to impress the judges and the audience calls in to vote off a contestant each week. The last person left standing gets a recording contract. I think many countries now have a reality show like this. This show starts its fourth season this year and I think it'll be more popular then ever.

Another popular reality show is "Big Brother." In this show, a group of people live together in the same house for about 15 weeks. They're not allowed to leave and they can't have visitors. The people chosen to live in the house are usually very different. This way, there is sure to be a lot of conflict. Some people form alliances and other people try to go it alone. The contestants compete in games and each week, the other contestants vote off one person from the show. Why would anyone want to be on "Big Brother?" The answer is easy: money. The last person remaining gets a huge prize-in the U.S. show, a half a million dollars. Even I'd live in a house full of strangers for that kind of cash .

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
                فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
                Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 40 - Homecoming

ESLPodcast 40 - Homecoming

Homecoming is an old American tradition in high schools and colleges. Find out more about it on today's podcast.
                  Tags: Daily Life

ESLPodcast 40

Part1

Fall is once again upon us, and that means that homecoming celebrations are just around the corner. Homecoming is an American tradition each September and October for high schools and colleges where they celebrate their school spirit with a football game and other celebrations. I remember the homecoming events when I was in school. First, there was the election of a homecoming king and queen. Each class had its own representative, one boy and one girl, usually the most popular jock and the cutest cheerleader . Needless to say, I was neither, so I never stood a chance of being elected! The king and queen, though, were always from the senior class.

All the events led up to the big game, played on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon, always a home game for the school celebrating their homecoming. In my school, we had a pep rally the day before the game, where the cheerleaders and dance team would do their thing on the stage. We also had a small parade before the game, where all the homecoming royalty and the marching band would go around the track of the stadium where the game was held, cheered on by alumni, parents, and students. Then we would watch the football game, which at my school, we usually lost.

فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
                  Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 41 - Tough Negotiations

ESLPodcast 41 - Tough Negotiations

Negotiating can be difficult in business and in our personal life. Find out how to talk about it in today's podcast.
                    Tags: Business, Daily Life

ESLPodcast 41

Part1

I'm not what you would call the world's best negotiator, but sometimes it's necessary to engage in a tough negotiation. Take, for instance, the time I had to renew the lease on my apartment. This was back in college, when I was renting a small studio in the Miracle Mile area of Los Angeles. When my lease was up , the landlord and I sat down to hammer out the terms of a new lease.

"I'll tell you what I'm going to do," he said. "I'm going to give you a break on rent if you sign a two-year lease instead of just a one-year lease."

"Well," I said, "I don't know. What sort of break are we talking about here? "

"I'll give you a 5% rent increase instead of a 10% increase in exchange for you signing a two-year lease. It's win-win situation: you get a cut in rent, and I get the security of a two-year lease."

At this point, I decided to make a counter-proposal . "How about this," I said, "You give me a one year lease with a six percent increase."

"No, I can't make that sort of deal," he said. "But here's what I can do, and it's my final offer: I'll pay for your electricity for the first 6 months of the lease, along with the other terms I mentioned before."

"You drive a hard bargain okay, it's a deal," I said. I guess I could have tried to bargain him down a bit more, but I was happy with our agreement. Now all I had to do was sign on the dotted line .

فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
                    Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 42 - Formal Emails

ESLPodcast 42 - Formal Emails

How do you write a formal email? Find out how on today's podcast.
                      ESLPodcast 42

Part1

Dear Dr. Lee:

I don't know if you'll remember me, but I introduced myself to you after your keynote at last week's conference. As I mentioned to you, I have read all of your journal papers and I am a great admirer of your research. Your article in the top journal Language Learning was groundbreaking.

The reason I am contacting you is that I would like to come to your university to study with you. I met some of your students at the conference and they couldn't stop singing your praises as a professor and as an advisor. I don't know if you are accepting any new students for the next year, but if so, I hope you will consider me.

I have included two attachments to this email. I am sending a copy of my CV , and I am also including a research paper I completed this year. I hope that these will give you an idea of my qualifications and experience. Please let me know if you need more information or more samples of my academic work.

It was a pleasure and a privilege to meet you at the conference and I hope to hear more about your research at a future conference.

Sincerely,

Lucy Hocevar

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse

فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
                      Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 43 - Getting an Interview
                        ESLPodcast 43 - Getting an Interview

Learn how to talk about interviews and getting a job on today's podcast.
                        ESLPodcast 43

Part1

I've finally landed my first interview. Well, actually, that's not really true. I have been on many interviews for part-time jobs. This was my first interview for a full-time job.

In less than two months, I will graduate from Arizona University. After a lot of back and forth trying to decide on a major, I finally decided to double major. I would study both political science and marketing.

These are not majors that usually go together. In fact, most people thought I was crazy. But, after a lot of soul searching, I decided to combine my two main interests: 1. politics and 2. getting a job! Those are my two priorities. I thought that if I get degrees in these two fields, I could cast a wide net when going job hunting. And, that's what I'm trying to do now.

Since I don't know if I want to work in the public or private sector, I've applied for jobs in both. In the public sector, I could work for the government. Maybe one day, I could even be a speech writer for the President! Okay, maybe I should shoot a little lower. In the private sector, I could work for private organizations such as museums, schools, or programs. Some of those are non-profit.

Or, I could work for a company. Everybody tells me that that's where the money is. I haven't decided yet. I'm planning to apply for a lot of jobs and will see what happens. What I want now is just to get some job offers. Then, I can start being picky.

Script by Dr. Lucy Tse
                        فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
                        Linkedin Profile

نظر

سلام ! امکانش هست باز هم متون رو قرار بدین ؟ اگر کسی عضو esl pod هست خیلی لطف میکنه اگه lerning guide های اخیر رو منتشر کنه !
                          فکر نکنم کار اشتباهی باشه چون برای من امکان عضو شدن وجود نداره ( فکر کنم برای همه ایرانی ها ممکن نباشه )

نظر

ESLPodcast 44 - Making a Good Impression
                            ESLPodcast 44 - Making a Good Impression

It is important to prepare for an interview. Learn how on today's podcast.
                            ESLPodcast 44

Part1

My interview is today. It is with a marketing company. It is a large corporation with its headquarters in San Francisco, CA. It also has satellite offices across the U.S. and in Europe. I'm not sure if this would be the right fit for me, but I'm keeping an open mind.
                            I got some sound advice from my aunt. She said that I should be confident but not cocky. That means I have to look for opportunities to talk about my qualifications, but don't make the mistake of boasting or worse, making things up. I do that sometimes when I get really nervous. My brain stops working and my mouth takes over.
                            I need to be respectful but not meek. I want to be professional with everyone, my co-workers and my bosses. But, I don't want them to think that I would let my co-workers walk all over me.
                            I should show them that I'm a team- player. Nobody likes a person who tries to grab the limelight all of the time, especially if they're new, like me.
                            Okay, I think I'm ready. I have my resume, my transcript, and the address of the office where I'm going for the interview. Now, all I need are my shoes
                            Script by Dr. Lucy Tse

Download Audio
                            فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
                            Linkedin Profile

نظر

ESLPodcast 45 - A Visit to the Doctor
                              ESLPodcast 45 - A Visit to the Doctor

We all have to see the doctor sometime in our life. Learn how to talk about it on today's podcast.
                              Tags: Daily Life, Health/Medicine

ESLPodcast 45
                              Part1

Going to the doctor is never particularly pleasant for me. But I couldn't put it off any longer. It was time for my annual physical, and there was no getting around it. So I picked up the phone and called for an appointment. "I'd like to see Dr. Shimoya next week, please, if that's possible," I said. Of course, it wasn't possible. The doctor was booked until next month, the receptionist told me. "Okay," I said, "let's schedule it for next month."

When the day arrives, I drive over to the doctor and check-in at the receptionist desk. I have to present my HMO card and pay the co-pay of $15.00. The receptionist instructs me to go to waiting room B, down the hall, first door on the right. So I go there and take a seat to wait. And wait. And wait.

Finally, my name is called and I go into see the doctor. The nurse weighs me, takes my temperature and blood pressure, and asks me why I'm there. I tell her it's time for my yearly check- up. She tells me to follow her to the examination room, and then to strip down to my underwear.

Now I'm sitting on the exam table, half- freezing, waiting for the doctor to show up . Finally, he walks in, looks at my chart, and begins his examination. "Breathe," he says, as he places the stethoscope on my chest. "Breathe in and out slowly," he says. I do so. Then he checks my throat and has me lay down to check my abdomen. Finally, he orders a blood test and says, "Well, you're good for another year, Mr. McQuillan." Thank goodness, I think to myself, and get dressed to leave.

Download Audio
                              فایل های پیوست شده

Webitsa.com
                              Linkedin Profile

نظر

واقعاً برای من مفیده
                                بسیار ممنون از زحماتتون

نظر

صبر کنید ..
                                X