Collapse
X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

• Jmaica Kincaid

Jamaica Kincaid

Jamaica Kincaid was born in 1949 as Elaine Potter Richardson on the island of Antigua. She lived with her stepfather, a carpenter, and her mother. As an only child, Kincaid maintained a close relationship with her mother until the age of nine, when the first of her three brothers were born.

In 1965 when she was sent to Westchester, New York to work as an au pair. In Antigua, she completed her secondary education under the British system due to Antigua's status as a British colony until 1967. She went on to study photography at the New York School for Social Research after leaving the family for which she worked, and also attended Franconia College in New Hampshire for a year.

Her first writing experience involved a series of articles for Ingenue magazine. In 1973, she changed her name to Jamaica Kincaid because her family disapproved of her writing. Through her writing, she befriended George W.S. Trow, a writer for the New Yorker, who began writing "Talk of the Town" pieces about her. As a result, Kincaid met the editor of the magazine, William Shawn, who offered her a job. She published her first book “At the Bottom of the River”, a collection of short stories in 1983. In 1985, Kincaid published her first novel, “Annie John”. Her works drew primarily from her childhood in Antigua. Some of her other works include “Lucy” (1990), “The Autobiography of My Mother” (1996), and “My Garden (Book)” (1999) Kincaid later married her editor, Shawn's son, Allen, a composer and Bennington College professor, and they now have two children. She teaches creative writing at Bennington College and Harvard University.

Kincaid's status as an exile informs so much of her writing. It allows (or perhaps forces) her to maintain distance from both her past and her present, as she critically examines the suffocating smallness (and small-mindedness) of her native Antigua, then juxtaposes it against the ignorant opulence of North America. Her narrators too seem alienated from all those around them, seeking both control over and freedom from these human connections known as relationships. But no discussion, no matter how brief, can be complete without mention of the central relationship in Kincaid's life--that with her mother. Kincaid's tight, lyrical prose guides the reader through her tortured recollections of her mother, as that relationship takes on the dual gravity of mother-daughter relationships that many readers can relate to as well as of the hegemonic interactions between mother country (here England) and daughter island (Antigua). Stacking these parallel visions on top of each other and infusing them with her own feelings of anger and suffocation, Kincaid draws the reader through the struggle for personal development not only of her narrators but of the writer herself.

source:caribbean.halloffame.tripod.com
    postcolonialweb.org
    ویرایش توسط Angel : https://forum.motarjemonline.com/member/63-angel در ساعت 04-13-2011, 07:31 AM

I believed my wisdom
    ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
    Angel

Click to Read My Other Poems
صبر کنید ..
X