X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

He's not a Good Fit

Daily Life - He's not a Good Fit
    Intermediate

A: So, Lauren, I just wanted to talk to you quickly about our new customer support representative, Jason Huntley.
    B: Sure, what’s up?
    A: Basically, I’ve got a few concerns about him, and the bottom line is, I don’t think he’s a good fit for our company.
    B: Okay... what makes you say that? I thought you were pleased with his overall performance. Didn’t you just tell me last week how impressed you were with his attitude?
    A: Yeah, his attitude is great, but he’s really unreliable. Sometimes he’s really productive, but then other times... take last Tuesday for instance, he was forty-five minutes late for our morning meeting!
    B: Well, I’m sure he had a perfectly good reason...
    A: But that’s not the only thing... you know, he really doesn’t have the best work ethic, I’m constantly catching him on MSN and Facebook when he should be talking to clients.
    B: Yeah, but come on, Geoff, as if you don’t check Facebook at work. Look, you hired this guy, we’ve invested a lot of time and money in his training, so now it’s up to you to coach him. Make it work, Geoff!
    A: Make it work, Geoff. You would say that, wouldn’t you, he is your cousin; what a jerk, make me hire your stupid, useless, cousin.

Key Vocabulary

concern: common noun, plural - worry
    overall: Adjective - general
    performance: commonnoun, singular - how well someone does their job
    unreliable: Adjective - not able to be trusted
    productive: Adjective - doing a lot in a short amount of time
    perfectly good: phrase - having no problems, just fine
    work ethic: common noun, non variable - attitude to work
    coach: verb - teach and train someone new skills

Supplementary Vocabulary

poor judgment: phrase - regularly makes bad decisions
    poor work ethic: phrase - bad attitude to work
    dependable: Adjective - able to be trusted and relied upon
    a bad apple: phrase - a bad member of a group who makes things more difficult for others
    unproductive: Adjective - not productive, not doing a lot

Download Audio
    گر خسته ای بمان و اگر خواستی بدان: ما را تمام لذت هستی به جستجوست ...
    اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
    Linkedin Profile

نظر

Chinese New Year

The Weekend - Chinese New Year
      Intermediate

A: I’m so excited about Chinese New Year! When do I get to visit Grandma? Grandma makes the best dumplings in the world!
      B: Ha ha, right. Sounds to me like you’re more excited about the dumplings than seeing your Grandma.
      A: Of course I miss Grandma, too. I bet she’s gonna teach me how to play Mahjong! Hey, Dad, are you going to buy me firecrackers this year? We’re going to have the best fireworks! I’m really looking forward to lighting them!
      B: Son, firecrackers aren’t toys; they’re dangerous!
      A: No, fireworks are awesome!
      B: Whoa, don’t you remember? Last year when I set off the firecrackers, you covered both your ears and hid behind your mother?
      A: Dad! I was scared because... because I saw a bug. That’s all.
      B: Hahaha... really?
      A: Oh, and I can’t wait to watch the dragon dance! Dad, can I sit on your shoulders this time?
      B: Hey, I offered last year...
      A: Well, I... anyways, I was just thinking of the red envelopes. I wanna make a list of all the things I’m gonna buy with my red envelope money! I can’t wait! I’m gonna have so much money! Mom, can I get a pen and a piece of paper?
      A: I want a new transformer, no, two transformers... the Optimus Prime, and...maybe the wheeljack? I’ll get a PSP game, hahaha, and I’ll buy the entire class lunch at MacDonald’s...

Key Vocabulary

excited: Adjective - very happy about something
      dumpling: common noun, plural - small lump of dough that is steamed or boiled, traditional Chinese New Year food
      firecracker: common noun, plural - a cylinder filled with explosive substance that makes loud noise when it explodes
      look forward to: phrase - excited and happy about something that will happen in the future
      can’t wait: phrase - eager or excited about doing something or for something to begin
      set off: verb - cause something to explode

Supplementary Vocabulary

Lunar New Year: Chinese New Year, based on the cycles of the moon
      Spring Festival: Chinese New Year
      lunar calendar: common noun, singular - a calendar based on the cycles and phases of the moon
      can hardly wait: phrase - very excited about something that will happen in the future
      impatient: Adjective - not happy or willing to wait for something
      اگر مطالب این سایت برایتان مفید بود، لطفا با مشارکت و به اشتراک گذاشتن تجربیات ارزشمند خود، آن را برای خود و دیگران پربارتر کنید!

Webitsa.com
      Linkedin Profile

نظر

Buying a Car

Daily Life - Buying a Car
        Intermediate

A: Hi there, can I help you folks?
        B: I’m just browsing; seeing what’s on the lot. My daughter wants a car for her birthday, you know how it is.
        C: Dad! I’m sixteen already and I’m, like, the only one at school who doesn’t have a car!
        A: She is right, you know. Kids these days all have cars. Let me show you something we just got in: a 1996 sedan. Excellent gas mileage, it has dual airbags and anti lock brakes; a perfect vehicle for a young driver.
        C: Dad, I love it! It’s awesome! Can we get this one please?
        B: I see... What can you tell me about this one?
        A: Oh, that’s just an old World War Two tank that we use for TV commercials. Now about this sedan...
        B: Whoa, whoa wait a minute. Tell me more about this tank.
        A: Well, Sir, if you are looking for quality and safety then look no further! Three inches of reinforced steel protect your daughter from short range missile attacks.
        B: Does the sedan protect her from missile attacks?
        A: It does not.
        B: Well, I don’t know. Let me sleep on it.
        A: Did I mention the tank is a tank?
        B: I’ll take it!
        C: Dad!

Key Vocabulary

browse: verb - look around to see if anything is interesting
        sedan: common noun, singular - a car with four doors
        gas mileage: common noun, singular - the amount of gas used per mile
        dual airbags: common noun, plural - two airbags, one for the driver and one for the passenger
        brake: common noun, plural - a device that slows down or stops something
        vehicle: common noun, singular - something that carries people from one place to another
        reinforce: Adjective - strengthen, make something stronger
        sleep on it: phrase - think about something further and make a decision later (informal)

Supplementary Vocabulary

minivan: common noun, singular - a vehicle that is larger than a car, has four doors and is shaped like a box
        SUV: common noun, singular - a large vehicle that is suitable to run on rough surfaces
        sale: common noun, singular - an event where goods or services are sold at a price lower than usual
        promotion: common noun, singular - something (usually advertising) that is done to increase sales
        discount: common noun, singular - the amount of reduction in price
        bargain: common noun, singular - something bought or sold at a price lower than its actual value

Webitsa.com
        Linkedin Profile

نظر

Movie Trailer

The Weekend - Movie Trailer
          Intermediate

A: In a digital world, even the strongest must fight for survival. Two people, possess a secret so valuable, so powerful, they have to defend it at all costs.
          B: I don’t care where they are, I don’t care what it takes... you find them and bring them to me!
          A: They only had one chance! And their chance was to fight back!
          D: You wanna play rough? Okay, say hello to my little friend!
          A: With a little help from a Governor...
          C: Listen to me! We have to get them outta there! No matter what!
          A: Nothing will prevent them from doing their job! Double the action.
          D: Get down!
          A: Triple the excitement.
          D: Get down again!
          A: This summer... nothing will stand in their way.
          B: I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.
          A: Two hosts, one podcast, coming to a theater near you.

Key Vocabulary

possess: verb - have or own
          survival: common noun, non variable - the state of living and being alive
          defend: verb - fight in order to keep something or someone safe
          rough: phrase - be tough,difficult, violent
          no matter what: common noun, singular - even if it's difficult
          get down: phrase - lower your body, not standing
          stand in someone’s way: phrase - prevent a person from doing something
          at all costs: phrase - regardless of the cost involved, even if it's difficult

Supplementary Vocabulary

comedy:
          common noun, singular - a funny movie
          romantic comedy: common noun, singular - a funny movie where two people fall in love
          animated film: common noun, singular - a movie made with a series of drawings; not with live people
          thriller: common noun, singular - a very exciting film
          drama: common noun, singular - a movie about a serious subject

Webitsa.com
          Linkedin Profile

نظر

Applying for a Visa

Daily Life - Applying for a Visa
            Intermediate

A: So, you’re applying for a B2 visa, where is your final destination and what’s the purpose of your trip to the United States?
            B: I’m going to visit my brother; he’s just had a baby. He lives in Minneapolis.
            A: And how long do you you plan to remain in the United States?
            B: I’ll be here for approximately three weeks. See, here’s my return ticket for the twenty-sixth of March.
            A: And, who is sponsoring your trip?
            B: My brother, here, this is an invitation letter from him. I will stay with him and his family in their home.
            A: Alright, tell me about the ties you have to your home country.
            B: Well, I own a house; actually, I’m leaving my dog there with my neighbors. I have a car at home, and oh, my job! I’m employed by Tornel as an engineer. Actually, I only have three weeks’ vacation, so I have to go back to work at the end of March.
            A: And what evidence do you have that you are financially independent?
            B: Well, I do have assets in my country; like I said, I own a house, and see, here’s a bank statement showing my investments, and my bank balance.
            A: I’m sorry, sir, we cannot grant you a B2 visa at this time, instead, you are granted a resident visa! Congratulations, you are the millionth person to apply for a visa! You win! Congratulations!

Key Vocabulary

remain: principle verb, infinitive - stay
            approximately: Adjective - an amount that is almost, but not exact
            sponsor: principle verb, present progressive - someone who takes the responsibility for a person applying for a visa
            invitation letter: common noun, singular - a formal letter asking a person to come to a place
            tie: common noun, plural - responsibility that links a person to a place or a thing
            evidence: common noun, non variable - something that shows the thing is true
            financially independent: phrase - have enough money to live alone; do not need help with money
            assets: common noun, plural - things that are worth money that you own
            grant: principle verb, present simple - let you have something

Supplementary Vocabulary

visa officer: common noun, singular - a person who's job is to interview people for visas
            resident permit: common noun, singular - an official document that allows you to live in a country
            embassy: common noun, singular - the group of people who represent your country in another country, located in the capital city
            application form: common noun, singular - a piece of paper you have to put information on to make a formal request
            consulate: common noun, singular - government building representing your country in another country; not located in a capital city

Webitsa.com
            Linkedin Profile

نظر

I’m Sorry I love You IV

Daily Life - I’m Sorry I love You IV
              Intermediate

A: ... so, I said, ”let’s take a break .” And since that night, I’ve been waiting for him to call, but I still haven’t heard from him. You don’t think he’s seeing someone else, do you?
              B: Come on, don’t be so dramatic! I’m sure everything is going to work out just fine.
              A: You think so? Oh, no! How can he do this to me? I’m sure he’s cheating on me! Why else wouldn’t he call?
              B: But, you two are on a break. Theoretically he can do whatever he likes.
              A: He’s the love of my life! I’ve really messed this up.
              B: Come on, hon. Pull yourself together. It’s going to be alright.
              A: But I... I still love him! And it’s all my fault! I can’t believe how immature and selfish I was being. I mean, he is a firefighter, it’s not like he can just leave someone in a burning building and meet me for dinner. I’ve totally messed this up!
              B: You know what, Veronica, I think you should make the first step. I’m sure he’ll forgive you...
              A: No, this is not gonna happen! I... I’ve ruined everything....
              B: Hey... do you hear something? Guess what? It’s your lovely firefighter!
              C: When I had you, I treated you bad and wrong dear. And since, since you went away, don’t you know I sit around with my head hanging down and I wonder who’s loving you.

Key Vocabulary

seeing someone: phrase - dating or going out with someone
              cheat on (someone): verb - having a romantic relationship with someone else
              on a break: phrase - a relationship that is temporarily on hold
              pull yourself together: phrase - calm down, relax, organize your thoughts
              immature: Adjective - acting in a childish way
              selfish: Adjective - having or showing concern only for yourself and not for the needs or feelings of other people
              ruin: verb - damage, destroy something

Supplementary Vocabulary

break up: verb - end a relationship
              dump (someone): verb - end a relationship when the other person does not want to (informal)
              partner: common noun, singular - serious, long-term boyfriend of girlfriend
              ex: common noun, singular - former boyfriend, girl- friend, husband, or wife (informal)
              love life: phrase - romantic social life
              it’s not the end of the world: phrase - don't worry, it is not so serious

I believed my wisdom
              ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
              Angel

Click to Read My Other Poems

نظر

Emergency Room

Daily Life - Emergency Room
                Upper Intermediate

A: Help! Are you a doctor? My poor little Frankie has stopped breathing! Oh my gosh, Help me! I tried to perform CPR, but I just don't know if I could get any air into his lungs! Oh, Frankie!
                B: Ellen, get him hooked up to a monitor! Someone page Dr. Howser. Get the patient to hold still, I can't get a pulse! Okay, he's on the monitor. His BP is falling! He’s flatlining!
                A: NOOOOOO! Frankie! Nurse! Do something!
                B: Someone get her out of here! Get me the defibrillator. Okay, clear! Again! Clear! Come on!
                dammit! I’m not letting you go! Clear! I’ve got a pulse!
                C: Okay, what's happening?
                B: The patient is in acute respiratory failure, I think we're going to have to intubate!
                C: Alright! Tube's in! Bag him! Someone give him 10 cc’s of adrenaline! Let's go, people move,
                move!
                A: Doctor, oh, thank god! How is he?
                B: We managed to stabilize Frankie, but he's not out of the woods yet; he's still in critical condition. We're moving him to intensive care, but...
                A: Doctor, just do whatever it takes. I just want my little Frankie to be okay. I couldn't imagine life without my little hamster!

Key Vocabulary

intensive care: common noun, singular - place in the hospital where very ill patients are treated
                critical condition: Adjective - state where a person is very sick or injured, and has a risk of dying
                out of the woods: phrase - out trouble or danger
                stabilize: verb - stop a patient from getting worse
                intubate: verb - place a plastic tube in a persons mouth to facilitate breathing
                acute respiratory failure: common noun, singular - condition in which a person stops breathing
                defibrillator: common noun, singular - electric machine that shocks the heart and makes it start working again
                BP: common noun, singular - blood pressure
                flatline: verb - condition where the heart stops working
                pulse: common noun, singular - the number of times your heart beats per minute
                hold still: phrase - not move
                hook up: phrase - connect someone or something to a machine
                CPR: common noun, singular - procedure in which air is blown into another persons lungs through their mouth

Supplementary Vocabulary

chest compressions: common noun, plural - act of pushing on someone's chest to restart their heart
                resuscitate: verb - make someone who stopped breathing start breathing again
                defibrillator: common noun, singular - machine that uses electricity to shock and restart the heart
                ER: phrase - Emergency Room; place in the hospital where you bring sick or injured people in an
                emergency
                ICU: phrase - Intensive Care Unit; place in the hospital where very sick or severely injured people are taken care of

I believed my wisdom
                ... Killed the whys as I grew ... Yet the time has taught me ... The whys are grown too
                Angel

نظر

Carnival in Rio

The Weekend - Carnival in Rio!
                  Intermediate

A: I can’t believe we’re here! Carnival in Rio! Seriously, this is like a once in a lifetime opportunity! Can you believe it? We’re here at the biggest party in the world!
                  B: I know! We’re so lucky that we found tickets for the Sambadrome! Good thing we found that ticket scalper.
                  A: Look! It’s starting! Wow, this is amazing! Look at how many dancers there are. Oh my gosh! The
                  costumes are so colorful! This is so cool!
                  B: It says here that the school that is dancing now is one of the oldest and most prestigious samba schools in Rio.
                  A: No kidding! Look at them, they’re amazing! Look at that girl on the top of that float! She must be the carnival queen! Move over there so I can get a picture of you!
                  B: Ok. Hurry up take the picture!
                  C: join us! come and dance!
                  B: Oh really.... no I can’t. No really, I don’t know how to dance! Honey I’ll see you later!
                  A: Patrick! Don’t just leave me here!

Key Vocabulary

prestigious: Adjective - being respected and admired for being successful or important
                  ticket scalper: common noun, singular - person that buys and re-sales tickets at a higher price
                  once in a lifetime: phrase - something that happens very rarely, not common
                  float: common noun, singular - a vehicle with a platform used to carry an exhibit in a parade
                  good thing: phrase - it is good that something happened

Supplementary Vocabulary

stadium: common noun, singular - a large structure where sport events are held
                  festival: common noun, singular - a special time or event when people gather to celebrate something
                  Brasilia: the capital of Brazil
                  take a chance: phrase - take a risk, do something that you would not usually do
                  ditch: verb - leave someone on purpose (informal)

I believed my wisdom
                  Angel

نظر

Daddy Please

Daily Life - Daddy Please!
                    Intermediate

A: Hey daddy! You look great today; I like your tie! By the way, I was wondering can I ...
                    B: NO!
                    A: I havent even told you what it is yet!
                    B: Okay, okay, what do you want?
                    A: Do you think I could borrow the car? I’m going to a concert tonight.
                    B: Um.. I don’t think so. I need the car tonight to pick up your mother.
                    A: Ugg! I told you about it last week! Smelly Toes is playing, and Eric asked if I would go with him!
                    B: Who's this Eric guy?
                    A: Duh! He's like the hottest and most popular guy at school! Come on, dad! Please!
                    B: No can do... sorry.
                    A: Fine then! Would you mind giving me 100 bucks?
                    B: No way!
                    A: That’s so unfair!

Key Vocabulary

by the way: phrase - used to change the topic of a conversation
                    wonder: verb - think about if something is possible
                    concert: common noun, singular - a public performance of music
                    pick up: verb - go and get
                    popular: Adjective - very well known and well liked
                    bucks: common noun, plural - informal word for dollars
                    unfair: Adjective - not fair, not just

Supplementary Vocabulary

suit: common noun, singular - a set of clothes that usually consists of a jacket and a skirt or pair of pants that are made out of the same material
                    play: common noun, singular - a piece of writing that tells a story through the actions and words of
                    characters and that is performed on a stage
                    drop off: phrase - to go and leave someone at a certain place
                    no way: phrase - I cannot do it, it is not possible
                    lend: principle verb, present simple - to give (something) to (someone) to be used for a period of time and then returned

I believed my wisdom
                    Angel

نظر

New Guy in Town III

Daily Life - New Guy in Town III
                      Intermediate

A: Please make yourselves at home. Let me take your coats. Dinner is almost ready; I hope you brought your appetite
                      B: Your house is lovely, Armand! Very interesting decor...very...Gothic.
                      C: I think it’s amazing! You have such good taste, Armand. I’m thinking of re-decorating my house; maybe you could give me a few pointers?
                      A: It would be my pleasure. Please have a seat. Can I offer you a glass of wine?
                      C: We would love some!
                      A: Here you are. A very special merlot brought directly from my home country. It has a unique ingredient which gives it a pleasant aroma and superior flavor.
                      C: Mmm... it’s delicious!
                      B: It’s a bit bitter for my taste... almost tastes like... like...
                      C: Ellen! Ellen! Are you okay?
                      A: Did she pass out?
                      C: Yeah...
                      A: I hope that you didn’t poison her drink too much! You’ll ruin our meal!

Key Vocabulary

flavor: common noun, singular - the way something tastes
                      aroma: common noun, singular - the way something smells
                      pointer: common noun, plural - tips, advice, hints
                      make yourselves at home: phrase - get comfortable and feel like you are in your own home
                      good taste: phrase - refers to liking nice things
                      bitter: Adjective - opposite of sweet
                      pass out: verb - faint, loss consciousness

Supplementary Vocabulary

sweet: Adjective - containing a lot of sugar
                      have a seat: phrase - sit down, take a seat
                      spike: principle verb, present simple - to add alcohol or drugs to (food or drink)
                      sour: Adjective - having an acid taste that is like the taste of a lemon
                      exclusive: Adjective - only allowing in people from a high social class

I believed my wisdom
                      Angel

نظر

Head Chef

The Weekend - Head Chef
                        Intermediate

A: ...Right away sir, your order will be ready shortly. Jean Pierre, we have another special for table seven!
                        B: I’m working as fast as I can! We’re really in the weeds! Where is my sous chef? Luc! I need you to peel more potatoes. Marie, chop some onions and carrots for the stew.
                        A: Jean Pierre another special! We’re really packed tonight! We’re running low on wine. Is there any left in the cellar?
                        C: Sorry I’m late, everyone. Wow, we are doing really well tonight!
                        B: Harry, stop talking and get over here I need this sauce stirred and the fish needs to be butchered and buttered.
                        C: Ok, I’m on it!
                        A: Jean Pierre, table seven has requested to see the chef! I think they are food critics from Cuisine Magazine.

Key Vocabulary

butter: Adjective - put butter on something
                        butcher: Adjective - cut meat into pieces taking out bones and organs
                        Right away: phrase - quickly, as soon as possible
                        in the weeds: phrase - in a difficult situation
                        sous chef: common noun, singular - chef that helps and assists the head chef
                        peel: verb - remove the outter skin of a fruit or vegetable
                        chop: verb - cut into small pieces
                        running low on: phrase - to not have so much, having not enough
                        stir: Adjective - move or mix something; usually with a spoon

Supplementary Vocabulary

bake: verb - to cook food at very high and dry heat
                        pan: common noun, singular - a usually shallow and open metal container that has a handle and that is used for cooking or baking
                        pot: common noun, singular - a deep, round container that is used for cooking
                        dice: verb - to cut something into small cubes
                        stove: common noun, singular - a flat piece of kitchen equipment for cooking with fire

I believed my wisdom
                        Angel

نظر

The Weekend - Hockey
                          Intermediate

A: Hello everyone! I’m Rick Fields, and here with me is Bob Copeland.
                          B: Howdy folks, and welcome to today’s game! You know, Rick, today is a key game between Russia and Canada. As you know, the winner will move on to the finals.
                          A: That’s right, and it looks like we’re just about ready to start the match. The ref is calling the players for the face-off... and here we go! The Russians win possession and immediately set up their attack! Federov gets checked hard into the boards!
                          B: Maurice Richard has the puck now, and passes it to the center. He shoots! Wow what a save by the goalie!
                          A: Alright, the puck is back in play now. Pavel Bure is on a breakaway! He is flying down the ice! The defenders can’t keep up! Slap shot! He scores
                          B: What an amazing goal!

Key Vocabulary

goalie: common noun, singular - position in hockey; person who tires to stop the puck from going in the net
                          breakaway:
                          common noun, singular - state of becoming separated from a large group (especially in sports)
                          save:
                          common noun, singular - the act of preventing a ball or puck from going in the net
                          puck:
                          common noun, singular - small, round, black object that is used to play hockey
                          win possession:
                          phrase - get control
                          check:
                          verb - use your body to push someone in hockey
                          ref:
                          common noun, singular - person who makes sure the players follow the rules in a game
                          face-off:
                          common noun, singular - a way of beginning a game by dropping the puck between two players
                          key:
                          Adjective - very important
                          finals:
                          common noun, plural - last game or series of games in a tournament or championship

Supplementary Vocabulary

hockey stick: common noun, singular - long wooden stick shaped like an L; used for playing hockey
                          arena:
                          common noun, singular - large building where sports are played
                          rink:
                          common noun, singular - ice surface used to play hockey or skate on
                          NHL: National Hockey League;
                          group of professional hockey teams that play in Canada and the US
                          league:
                          common noun, singular - a group of sports teams that play against each other

I believed my wisdom
                          Angel

نظر

Daily Life - Planning a Bank Robbery
                            Intermediate

A: All right, so this is what we are going to do. I’ve carefully mapped this out, so don’t screw it up. Mr. Rabbit, you and Mr. Fox will go into the bank wearing these uniforms. We managed to get replicas of the one the guards wear when they pick up the money.
                            B: Got it.
                            C: No problem, boss.
                            A: When you get inside, tell them that you are filling in for Carl and Tom, and say that they are on another route today. Don’t lose your cool. Just act natural.
                            B: What if they want to call and confirm?
                            A: You let him.
                            C: What!?
                            A: Don't worry, we have the phones tapped, so the call will be patched through to me, and I'll pretend to be the transport company.
                            B: Ha ha, you are so clever boss!
                            A: Okay, shut up. Only take as much money as you can fit in these bags. Don't get greedy! Are you ready? Let’s go.

Key Vocabulary

screw up: verb - mess up, make a mistake, fail
                            map out:
                            verb - planned, thought of patch (someone)
                            through:
                            phrase - connect or communicate over the telephone
                            tap:
                            verb - attach a device to a phone line to listen secretly
                            greedy:
                            Adjective - want too much; always wanting more
                            loose (someone’s) cool :
                            phrase - to not control your feeling or emotions
                            clever:
                            Adjective - smart, intelligent
                            replica:
                            common noun, plural - a reproduction or copy of a product

Supplementary Vocabulary

heist: common noun, singular - the act of stealing something from a shop or a bank (AmE, Informal)
                            bust:
                            common noun, singular - an event where the police catch people doing a crime
                            bandit:
                            common noun, singular - criminal who attacks and steals from people who travel
                            burglary:
                            common noun, singular - illegally entering a house or building to steal
                            escape route:
                            common noun, singular - a planned way of going from one place to another and escaping

I believed my wisdom
                            Angel

نظر

The Office - Malfunction
                              Intermediate

A: Hey Carl, can you make a copy of this contract for me please? When you have it ready, send it out ASAP to our subbranch.

B: Sure! Um... I think I broke this thing. Maxine, can you help me out here? I’m not really a tech guy.
                              C: Yeah, sure. I think it’s just out of toner. You can go use the other one upstairs. On your way up, can you fax this while I try and fix this thing?
                              B: Sure! Dammit! Everything in this office seems to be breaking down! Never mind. I’ll send this stupid fax later. Oh great! Is someone playing a practical joke on me? This is ridiculous!
                              D: The elevator has some sort of malfunction. Just take the stairs dude. What floor are you going to?
                              B: I have to go up fifteen floors! Never mind. Made it! There is the copier!

Key Vocabulary

ASAP: phrase - as soon as possible
                              tech:
                              common noun, nonvariable - technology
                              toner:
                              common noun, nonvariable - ink used in a printer or photocopier
                              on (someone’s) way:
                              phrase - while moving from one place to another
                              break down:
                              verb - suddenly stop working
                              never mind:
                              phrase - forget the last thing I said; don't worry about it
                              practical joke:
                              common noun, singular - a joke where something is done, rather than said
                              ridiculous:
                              Adjective - very unreasonable or silly
                              malfunction:
                              common noun, singular - a problem causing a thing to stop working properly

Supplementary Vocabulary

bug: common noun, singular - a technical problem that causes a computer or system to not work properly
                              office equipment: common noun, nonvariable - tools used in an oce
                              paper jam:
                              common noun, singular - paper getting stuck in a photocopier, fax machine, or printer
                              damage: verb - break or harm something, make something not work properly, or not look perfect
                              power surge: common noun, singular - an increase in electrical current that can damage electric equipment
                              breakdown:
                              common noun, singular - the act of a machine suddenly not working properly

I believed my wisdom
                              Angel

نظر

Daily Life - This Is Your Captain Speaking
                                Upper-Intermediate

A: And the next thing you know, we’re running towards the... Oh...did you feel that?
                                B: Yeah, don’t worry about it; we’re just going through a bit of turbulence.
                                C: Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. It looks like we’ve hit a patch of rough air, so we’re going to have a bit of a bumpy ride for the next several minutes, and...
                                A: This why I hate flying... Oh!
                                C: At this time, I’d like to remind all of our passengers to fasten their seat beltsand remain seated until the fasten seat belt sign is turned off. Please ensure that all cabin baggageis carefully stowed under the seat in front of you. I’ll be back back to update you in a minute.
                                A: Did you hear that? Brent!
                                B: Don’t worry about it. This is totally normal. It happens all the
                                C: Ah, ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain again. We’ve got quite a large patch of rough air ahead of us, so for your safety, we will be suspending in-flight service. I would ask all in-flight crew to return to their seats at this time. I would also like to ask that all our passengers refrain from using the lavatory until the seat belt sign has been
                                switched off We can expect...

Key Vocabulary

turbulence: common noun, nonvariable - sudden, strong movement of air especially that causes a plane to move up and down in the air
                                rough: Adjective - having or causing sudden violent movements
                                patch:
                                common noun, singular - small area
                                bumpy:
                                Adjective - having sudden up and down movements
                                fasten:
                                to fasten
                                cabin baggage:
                                common noun, nonvariable - suitcases and luggage that travels inside the plane with the passengers
                                stow:
                                stowed
                                suspend:
                                will be suspending
                                refrain:
                                verb - avoid doing
                                lavatory:
                                common noun, singular - room with a sink and toilet, chiey on an airplane or train

Supplementary Vocabulary

overhead bin: common noun, singular - place above the seat in an airplane where you can store luggage
                                carry-on:
                                common noun, nonvariable - a suit case that you bring onto the plane
                                table tray:
                                common noun, singular - a table that folds down from the seat in front of you on a an airplane
                                life jacket:
                                common noun, singular - piece of clothing that you ware to stay floating in water /life jacket
                                oxygen mask: common noun, singular - a mask worn over your mouth and nose so you can breathe

I believed my wisdom
                                Angel

نظر

صبر کنید ..
                                X