Collapse
X

• فیلتر
  • زمان
  • نمایش
پاک کردن همه

• Short Stories by Unknown Author

True Story-1000 Marbles

The older I get, the more I enjoy Saturday mornings. Perhaps it's the quiet solitude that comes
    with being the first to rise, of maybe it's the unbounded joy of not having to be at work. Either
    way, the first few hours of a Saturday morning are most enjoyable.
    A few weeks ago, I was shuffling toward the kitchen, with a steaming cup of coffee in one hand
    and the morning paper in the other. What began as a typical Saturday morning turned into one
    of those lessons that life seems to hand you from time to time.
    Let me tell you about it. I turned the volume up on my radio in order to listen to a Saturday
    morning talk show. I heard an older sounding chap with a golden voice. You know the kind, he
    sounded like he should be in the broadcasting business himself.
    He was talking about "a thousand marbles" to someone named "Tom". I was intrigued and sat
    down to listen to what he had to say. "Well, Tom, it sure sounds like you're busy with your job.
    I'm sure they pay you well but it's a shame you have to be away from home and your family so
    much. Hard to believe a young fellow should have to work sixty or seventy hours a week to
    make ends meet. Too bad you missed your daughter's dance recital. " He continued, "Let me
    tell you something Tom, something that has helped me keep a good perspective on my own
    priorities." And that's when he began to explain his theory of a "thousand marbles."
    "You see, I sat down one day and did a little arithmetic. The average person lives about
    seventy-five years. I know, some live more and some live less, but on average, folks live about
    seventy-five years." "Now then, I multiplied 75 times 52 and I came up with 3900 which is the
    number of Saturdays that the average person has in their entire lifetime.
    "Now stick with me Tom, I'm getting to the important part. "It took me until I was fifty-five years
    old to think about all this in any detail", he went on, "and by that time I had lived through over
    twenty-eight hundred Saturdays. "I got to thinking that if I lived to be seventy-five, I only had
    about a thousand of them left to enjoy. "So I went to a toy store and bought every single
    marble they had. I ended up having to visit three toy stores to round-up 1000 marbles. "I took
    them home and put them inside of a large, clear plastic container right here in my workshop
    next to the radio. Every Saturday since then, I have taken one marble out and thrown it away.
    "I found that by watching the marbles diminish, I focused more on the really important things in
    life. There is nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help get your
    priorities straight. "Now let me tell you one last thing before I sign-off with you and take my
    lovely wife out for breakfast. This morning, I took the very last marble out of the container. I
    figure if I make it until next Saturday then God has blessed me with a little extra time to be with
    my loved ones...... "It was nice to talk to you Tom, I hope you spend more time with your loved
    ones, and I hope to meet you again someday. Have a good morning!"
    You could have heard a pin drop when he finished. Even the show's moderator didn't have
    anything to say for a few moments. I guess he gave us all a lot to think about. I had planned to
    do some work that morning, then go to the gym. Instead, I went upstairs and woke my wife up
    with a kiss. "C'mon honey, I'm taking you and the kids to breakfast." "What brought this on?"
    she asked with a smile. "Oh, nothing special," I said. " It has just been a long time since we
    spent a Saturday together with the kids. Hey, can we stop at a toy store while we're out? I need
    to buy some marbles."

How many marbles do you have?
    کاغذ سفید را هر چقدر هم زیبا و تمیز باشد کسی قاب نمیگیرد...برای ماندگاری در ذهن ها باید حرفی برای گفتن داشت!!!

The China Farmer

Once upon a time, there was a farmer in the central region of China. He didn't have a lot of
    money and, instead of a tractor, he used an old horse to plow his field.
    One afternoon, while working in the field, the horse dropped dead. Everyone in the village said,
    "Oh, what a horrible thing to happen." The farmer said simply, "We'll see." He was so at peace
    and so calm, that everyone in the village got together and, admiring his attitude, gave him a
    new horse as a gift.
    Everyone's reaction now was, "What a lucky man." And the farmer said, "We'll see."
    A couple days later, the new horse jumped a fence and ran away. Everyone in the village shook
    their heads and said, "What a poor fellow!"
    The farmer smiled and said, "We'll see."
    Eventually, the horse found his way home, and everyone again said, "What a fortunate man."
    The farmer said, "We'll see."
    Later in the year, the farmer's young boy went out riding on the horse and fell and broke his
    leg. Everyone in the village said, "What a shame for the poor boy."
    The farmer said, "We'll see."
    Two days later, the army came into the village to draft new recruits. When they saw that the
    farmer's son had a broken leg, they decided not to recruit him.
    Everyone said, "What a fortunate young man."
    The farmer smiled again - and said "We'll see."
    Moral of the story:
    There's no use in overreacting to the events and circumstances of our everyday lives. Many
    times what looks like a setback, may actually be a gift in disguise. And when our hearts are in
    the right place, all events and circumstances are gifts that we can learn valuable lessons from.
    As Fra Giovanni once said:
    "Everything we call a trial, a sorrow, or a duty, believe me... the gift is there and the wonder of
    an overshadowing presence."
    کاغذ سفید را هر چقدر هم زیبا و تمیز باشد کسی قاب نمیگیرد...برای ماندگاری در ذهن ها باید حرفی برای گفتن داشت!!!

نظر

A World Of Smile

About ten years ago when I was an undergraduate in college, I was working as an intern at my
      University's Museum of Natural History. One day while working at the cash register in the gift
      shop, I saw an elderly couple come in with a little girl in a wheelchair.As I looked closer at this
      girl, I saw that she was kind of perched on her chair.
      I then realized she had no arms or legs, just a head, neck and torso. She was wearing a little
      white dress with red polka dots.As I took the money from her grandparents, I looked back at
      the girl, who was giving me the cutest, largest smile I have ever seen.
      As the couple wheeled her up to me I was looking down at the register. I turned my head
      toward the girl and gave her a wink. As I took the money from her grandparents, I looked back
      at the girl, who was giving me the cutest, largest smile I have ever seen. All of a sudden her
      handicap was gone and all I saw was this beautiful girl, whose smile just melted me and
      almost instantly gave me a completely new sense of what life is all about. She took me from a
      poor, unhappy college student and brought me into her world; a world of smiles, love and
      warmth.
      That was ten years ago. I'm a successful business person now and whenever I get down and
      think about the troubles of the world, I think about that little girl and the remarkable lesson
      about life that she taught me.

نظر

Have you been to the bank?

Imagine there is a bank that credits your account each morning with $ 86,400. It carries over no
        balance from day to day. Every evening deletes whatever part of the balance you failed to use
        during the day. What would you do? Draw out every cent, of course!!!!
        Each of us has such a bank. Its name is TIME. Every morning, it credits you with 86,400
        seconds. Every night it writes off, as lost, whatever of this you have failed to invest to good
        purpose. It carries over no balance. It allows no overdraft. Each day it opens a new account for
        you. Each night it burns the remains of the day. If you fail to use the day's deposits, the loss is
        yours. There is no going back. There is no drawing against the "tomorrow". You must live in the
        present on today's deposits. Invest it so as to get from it the utmost in health, happiness, and
        success!
        The clock is running. Make the most of today. To realize the value of ONE YEAR, ask a student
        who failed a grade. To realize the value of ONE MONTH, ask a mother who gave birth to a
        To realize the value of ONE WEEK, ask the editor of a weekly newspaper. To realize the value
        of ONE HOUR, ask the lovers who are waiting to meet. To realize the value of ONE MINUTE,
        ask a person who missed the train. To realize the value of ONE SECOND, ask a person who
        just avoided an accident. To realize the value of ONE MILLISECOND, ask the person who won
        a silver medal in the Olympics.
        Treasure every moment that you have! And treasure it more because you shared it with
        someone special, special enough to spend your time.
        And remember that time waits for no one.
        Yesterday is history
        Tomorrow is mystery
        Today is a gift
        That's why it's called the present!!
        Unknown Author

نظر

Secret Behind Happy Married Life

Once X asked Y, "What is the secret behind your happy married life?" Y said, "You should
          share responsibilities with due love and respect to each other. Then absolutely there will be no
          problems."
          X asked, "Can you explain?" Y said, "In my house, I take decisions on bigger issues where as
          my wife decides on smaller issues. We do not interfere in each other's decisions."
          Still not convinced, X asked Y "Give me some examples" Y said, "Smaller issues like which car
          we should buy, how much amount to save, when to visit home town, which Sofa, air
          conditioner, refrigerator to buy, monthly expenses, whether to keep a maid or not etc are
          decided by my wife. I just agree to it"
          X asked, "Then what is your role?" Y said, "My decisions are only for very big issues. Like
          whether America should attack Iraq, whether Britain should lift sanction over Zimbabwe,
          whether to widen African economy, whether Sachin Tendulkar should retire etc. Do you know
          one thing, my wife NEVER objects to any of these".

نظر

The Two Frogs

A group of frogs were traveling through the woods, and two of them fell
            into a deep pit. When the other frogs saw how deep the pit was, they told the two frogs that
            they were as good as dead. The two frogs ignored the comments and tried to jump up out of
            the pit with all their might. The other frogs kept telling them to stop, that they were as good as
            dead. Finally, one of the frogs took heed to what the other frogs were saying and gave up. He
            fell down and died. The other frog continued to jump as hard as he could. Once again, the
            crowd of frogs yelled at him to stop the pain and just die. He jumped even harder and finally
            made it out. When he got out, the other frogs said, "Did you not hear us?" The frog explained
            to them that he was deaf. He thought they were encouraging him the entire time. This story
            teaches two lessons: 1. There is power of life and death in the tongue. An encouraging word to
            someone who is down can lift them up and help them make it through the day. 2. A destructive
            word to someone who is down can be what it takes to kill them. Be careful of what you say.
            Speak life to those who cross your path. The power of words... it is sometimes hard to
            understand that an encouraging word can go such a long way. Anyone can speak words that
            tend to rob another of the spirit to continue in difficult times. Special is the individual who will
            take the time to encourage another. Author Unknown

نظر

The Trouble Tree

I hired a carpenter to help me restore an old farmhouse, and after he had just finished a rough
              first day on the job...a flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric saw quit...and now
              his ancient pickup truck refused to start.
              While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence. On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family.
              As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching tips of the
              branches with his hands.
              When opening the door, he underwent an amazing transformation. His tanned face was
              wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.
              Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I
              asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.
              "Oh, that's my trouble tree," he replied.
              "I know I can't help having troubles on the job and in my life, but one thing's for sure, troubles
              don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So I just hang them up on the tree
              every night when I come home. Then in the morning I pick them up again."
              "Funny thing is," he smiled, "When I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there aren't
              nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."
              - Author Unknown

نظر

The Law of The Garbage Truck

How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver,
                rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? Unless you're the Terminator,
                for an instant you're probably set back on your heels. However, the mark of a successful
                person is how quickly she can get back her focus on what's important.
                Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. I learned it in the back of a New York City taxi cab.
                Here's what happened. I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were
                driving in the right lane when, all of a sudden, a black car jumped out of a parking space right
                in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car’s back
                end by just inches!
                The driver of the other car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head
                around and he started yelling bad words at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy.
                And I mean, he was friendly. So, I said, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your
                car and sent us to the hospital!" And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call, "The
                Law of the Garbage Truck."
                Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of
                anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And
                if you let them, they'll dump it on you. When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it
                personally. You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did.
                So this was it: The "Law of the Garbage Truck.” I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage
                Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people a
                work, at home, on the streets? It was that day I said, "I'm not going to do anymore." I began to
                see garbage trucks.
                Like in the movie "The Sixth Sense," the little boy said, "I see Dead People." Well, now "I see
                Garbage Trucks." I see the load they're carrying. I see them coming to drop it off. And like my
                Taxi Driver, I don't make it a personal thing; I just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on.
                One of my favorite football players of all time, Walter Payton, did this every day on the football
                field. He would jump up as quickly as he hit the ground after being tackled. He never dwelled
                on a hit. Payton was ready to make the next play his best.
                Good leaders know they have to be ready for their next meeting. Good parents know that they
                have to welcome their children home from school with hugs and kisses. Leaders and parents
                know that they have to be fully present, and at their best for the people they care about.
                The bottom line is that successful people do not let Garbage Trucks take over their day. What
                about you? What would happen in your life, starting today, if you let more garbage trucks pass
                you by? Here's my bet. You'll be happier.
                Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.. Love the people who treat you right.
                Forget about the ones who don't
                Author Unknown

نظر

Angels At the Truck Stop

In September 1960, I woke up one morning with six hungry babies and just 75 cents in my
                  pocket. Their father was gone. The boys ranged from three months to seven years; their sister
                  was two.
                  Their Dad had never been much more than a presence they feared. Whenever they heard his
                  tires crunch on the gravel driveway they would scramble to hide under their beds. He did
                  manage to leave 15 dollars a week to buy groceries. Now that he had decided to leave, there
                  would be no more beatings, but no food either. If there was a welfare system in effect in
                  southern Indiana at that time, I certainly knew nothing about it.
                  I scrubbed the kids until they looked brand new and then put on my best homemade dress. I
                  loaded them into the rusty old 51 Chevy and drove off to find a job. The seven of us went to
                  every factory, store and restaurant in our small town. No luck. The kids stayed, crammed into
                  the car and tried to be quiet while I tried to convince whomever would listen that I was willing to
                  learn or do anything. I had to have a job. Still no luck.
                  The last place we went to, just a few miles out of town, was an old Root Beer Barrel drive-in
                  that had been converted to a truck stop. It was called the Big Wheel. An old lady named
                  Granny owned the place and she peeked out of the window from time to time at all those kids.
                  She needed someone on the graveyard shift, 11 at night until seven in the morning. She paid
                  65 cents an hour and I could start that night.
                  I raced home and called the teenager down the street that baby-sat for people. I bargained
                  with her to come and sleep on my sofa for a dollar a night. She could arrive with her pajamas
                  on and the kids would already be asleep. This seemed like a good arrangement to her, so we
                  made a deal. That night when the little ones and I knelt to say our prayers we all thanked God
                  for finding Mommy a job. And so I started at the Big Wheel.
                  When I got home in the mornings I woke the baby-sitter up and sent her home with one dollar
                  of my tip money - fully half of what I averaged every night. As the weeks went by, heating bills
                  added another strain to my meager wage. The tires on the old Chevy had the consistency of
                  penny balloons and began to leak. I had to fill them with air on the way to work and again every
                  morning before I could go home.
                  One bleak fall morning, I dragged myself to the car to go home and found four tires in the back
                  seat. New tires! There was no note, no nothing, just those beautiful brand new tires. Had
                  angels taken up residence in Indiana? I wondered. I made a deal with the owner of the local
                  service station. In exchange for his mounting the new tires, I would clean up his office. I
                  remember it took me a lot longer to scrub his floor than it did for him to do the tires.
                  I was now working six nights instead of five and it still wasn't enough. Christmas was coming
                  and I knew there would be no money for toys for the kids. I found a can of red paint and started
                  repairing and painting some old toys. Then I hid them in the basement so there would be
                  something for Santa to deliver on Christmas morning. Clothes were a worry too. I was sewing
                  patches on top of patches on the boys pants and soon they would be too far gone to repair.
                  On Christmas Eve the usual customers were drinking coffee in the Big Wheel. These were the
                  truckers, Les, Frank, and Jim, and a state trooper named Joe. A few musicians were hanging
                  around after a gig at the Legion and were dropping nickels in the pinball machine. The regulars
                  all just sat around and talked through the wee hours of the morning and then left to get home
                  before the sun came up. When it was time for me to go home at seven o'clock on Christmas
                  morning I hurried to the car. I was hoping the kids wouldn't wake up before I managed to get
                  home and get the presents from the basement and place them under the tree (We had cut
                  down a small cedar tree by the side of the road down by the dump.)
                  It was still dark and I couldn't see much, but there appeared to be some dark shadows in the
                  car - or was that just a trick of the night? Something certainly looked different, but it was hard
                  to tell what.
                  When I reached the car I peered warily into one of the side windows. Then my jaw dropped in
                  amazement. My old battered Chevy was full to the top with boxes of all shapes and sizes. I
                  quickly opened the driver's side door, crumbled inside and kneeled in the front facing the back
                  seat. Reaching back, I pulled off the lid of the top box.
                  Inside was a whole case of little blue jeans, sizes 2-10! I looked inside another box: It was full
                  of shirts to go with the jeans. Then I peeked inside some of the other boxes: There were candy
                  and nuts and bananas and bags of groceries. There was an enormous ham for baking, and
                  canned vegetables and potatoes. There was pudding and Jell-O and cookies, pie filling and
                  flour. There was a whole bag of laundry supplies and cleaning items. And there were five toy
                  trucks and one beautiful little doll. As I drove back through empty streets as the sun slowly
                  rose on the most amazing Christmas Day of my life, I was sobbing with gratitude. And I will
                  never forget the joy on the faces of my little ones that precious morning.
                  Yes, there were angels in Indiana that long-ago December. And they all hung out at the
                  Big Wheel truck stop.
                  Author Unknown

نظر

Self Worth

Self Worth In a brief conversation, a man asked a woman he was pursuing the question:
                    "What kind of man are you looking for?"
                    She sat quietly for a moment before looking him in the eye & asking, "Do you really want to
                    know?"
                    Reluctantly, he said, "Yes."
                    She began to expound:
                    "As a woman in this day & age, I am in a position to ask a man what can you do for me that I
                    can't do for myself?
                    I pay my own bills. I take care of my household without the help of any man.... or woman for
                    that matter.
                    I am in the position to ask, "What can you bring to the table?"
                    The man looked at her. Clearly he thought that she was referring to money.
                    She quickly corrected his thought & stated, "I am not referring to money. I need something
                    more."
                    "I need a man who is striving for excellence in every aspect of life."
                    He sat back in his chair, folded his arms, & asked her to explain.
                    She said:
                    "I need someone who is striving for excellence mentally because I need conversation & mental
                    stimulation. I don't need a simple-minded man.
                    I need someone who is striving for excellence spiritually because I don't need to be unequally
                    yoked...believers mixed with unbelievers is a recipe for disaster.
                    I need a man who is striving for excellence financially because I don't need a financial burden.
                    I need someone who is sensitive enough to understand what I go through as a woman, but
                    strong enough to keep me grounded.
                    I need someone who has integrity in dealing with relationships. Lies and game playing are not
                    my idea of a strong man.
                    I need a man who is family-oriented. One who can be the leader, priest and provider to the lives
                    entrusted to him by God.
                    I need someone whom I can respect. In order to be submissive, I must respect him.
                    I cannot be submissive to a man who isn't taking care of his business.
                    I have no problem being submissive...he just has to be worthy.
                    And by the way, I am not looking for him...He will find me. He will recognize himself in me. He
                    may not be able to explain the connection, but he will always be drawn to me. God made
                    woman to be a helpmate for man. I can't help a man if he can't help himself."
                    When she finished her spill, she looked at him.
                    He sat there with a puzzled look on his face.
                    He said, "You are asking a lot."
                    She replied, "I'm worth a lot
                    Unknown Author

نظر

صبر کنید ..
                    X